Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 24, 2020   #1
Banadoura
Tomatovillian™

Default Hybrid vs OP Nutrients

Hi All,

I just finished watching a documentary on tomatoes released yesterday in french.

If you understand french, I highly recommend watching it! (https://ici.tou.tv/enquete/S13E15)

@minute 20, they compare the nutrients of hybrid vs OP and it is shocking

They did some taste tests with hybrid varieties and it was disappointing across the board. Apparently the longevity gene interferes with the taste.

The taste is reflective of the nutrients a tomato contains. Good taste = highly nutritious.

I am a bit puzzled with this as Green Bee is a hybrid variety of tomato that I really enjoyed taste wise last summer. Can anybody shed some light on this theory?

Other tidbits: 75% of seeds sold are hybrid, market controlled by 4 big corporations. India a huge cross breeding ground where farmers are paid $148 per kg of seeds that are resold for hundreds of thousands of dollars in the west! Dirt cheap pricing results in child labor and women getting paid 40% less than men
Banadoura is offline   Reply With Quote