Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 28, 2019   #1
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Default Growing in Bush Doctor Coco Loco

I've never grown in coir buckets outdoors, but it seems to get high marks here.

I have about 3.5 cu ft of this bush product, which was delivered wet and with moths, so using it for potting up inside was impossible. I wanted to avoid fungus gnats but got a whole bunch of other bugs instead. It was disgusting, and I have part of one bag covered up in the house and a full bag in the garage. The few plants that I started in this aren't doing well (onions & leeks) or didn't germinate at all. I started over with Wondersoil and everything is looking much better. I see everyone is adding a good amount of perlite to their coir, but this product contains a fair amount of big chunky chips already. Do I need to add anything else?

What is the best outdoor use of this product (that is legal in my state) obviously!. a. What vegetables are most adapted to growing in this medium (my water is highly alkaline so not as worried about ph as I probably should be.)

b. On hand I have several sizes of unused smart pots, 2 empty Earthboxes, 3 gal food safe buckets from the bakery, and a pair of 10 inch leftover hanging baskets. Sun pr part shade areas can host my jungle.

I won't be able to set up drip , but I have a hose spigot on the other side of the garden. Could use more than a little help with fertilizing whatever ends up growing in "the Bush:.

Still two feet of snow & ice packing down on the backyard.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote