Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 9, 2019   #11
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Any advice welcome.
I already looked at the thread you had in the tool section and even replied in it about the fire place tiles in the fir box.

First order of business and a huge fail on the manufacturers part.
You can build a fire in the main cooking chamber but no way to flush out the ashes.

Ashes will eat steel and make it rust they all have to be removed and flushed with water.
So since I have lathe I will make a drain hole in the bottom and turn the end of a 1 inch nut to fit tightly in that hole then TIG weld it in grind off excess so it matches radius of the bottom of the cooking chamber.
Most radius grinding will be done on a vise in the shop.
Lathe threaded rod with tee handle will serve as a plug.
OR I may install three vents under the main cooking area but that can come later.
Just need to see how it works as is.
Fire box bottom too thin but that is a no brainer to modify with a better fire box if need be when the time comes.
What I do like about the fire box is it is two piece and bolts to the main chamber.
Plus it has a place to grill steaks.
Before I bolt it on I will use some high temp RTV gasket compound but you wont see it bulging out like I have seen in the videos.
You're over thinking that problem. Build an ash pan out of thin metal so you can just dump it. Or stop by a mechanic shop and ask for an empty small lube barrel then cut it to fit in the bottom.

Here's the mods you should start with then tweak it as you go. I lowered my firebox instead of closing it off and added another exhaust stack at grate level. Once it's warmed up it stays about the same temp on both sides of the smoker.

I will say some people like hot and cooler spots on the smoker to shift different cuts of meat around.