Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 18, 2018   #1
JoParrott

Default I have to leave Tomatoville

I think this will be my final post-my heart is breaking and tears are flooding my lap as I type-for months I have tried to tough it out and keep trying, but I have to surrender to the terrible fact that macular degeneration has won- I am rapidly losing my vision and can no longer do the things that have been my life- sewing, gardening, driving- even using a computer--- it is becoming so difficult in spite of all the vision aids- brighter lights, magnifiers, etc-it is a losing battle. For 3 months I have been getting injections in my eyes to try to slow the progression, but there will never be any improvement. All my 83 years I have been a hard willed Yankee who believed I could do anything I wanted- and until now I have done just that. I lost my husband of 49 years ago last April, and after grieving his loss for a year, I was ready to rebirth myself and spend the rest of my life doing what he wanted me to do- drive this beautiful country and revisit the Canyonlands we both loved, create machine embroidery with my beloved machine, and most of all, continue my love of gardening that I began nearly 50 years ago. But life had other plans, and one month ago after driving to a doctor appointment I knew it was not safe for me to drive any more, and I sold my car. I have evolved from a totally independent control freak to a broken 83 year old woman who spends most of my days crying my eyes out and asking why I should go on this way.There is no cure for macular degeneration- just a slight hope of slowing its progress- but my status has declined so fast in 3 months that I really don't hold out any hope of a slowdown. I will continue reading the posts because I feel a special connection with gardeners--especially my best buddy, Worth1--I think we are 2 related rebels ! I will close now- Love to all of you--Jo in Richland WA