Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 9, 2018   #11
bower
Tomatovillian™

I use peat/compost mix as the basis for my containers (yes I admit some perlite can help but it is imported from far off lands and is really expensive for a puffed rock. )
Last year I made a fresh mix using 2/3 peat and 1/3 compost (plus various ferts including coarse kelp) I added lime but IMO it was not enough, should have used more to neutralize the peat. Also the compost was not enough. The ratio of peat to compost is what my supplier told me, they used for the potting mix they no longer sell. I used to add compost to that every year and yes it got better and better. I am aiming for a 50-50 mix this year.
I believe 50-50 peat-compost is what Tania uses as well. So may be about right for organic, and for simple watering from the top vs. drip fertigation or 'sip' type containers which I haven't tried.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote