Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 25, 2007   #1
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Default My Winners So Far

Most everything got in fill swing the last few weeks. I'm still iffy on NAR, Stump may be coming on OK now, the darks are producing and flavorful, but not high producers, at least for me so far. Chapman was a bust and Red Rose about the same.

The winners have been the one brave Mortgage Lifter that has produced well and some really nice fruit. Earl's came on good and the first few I had have been good. Brandywine is still the All Star patch. Really loaded up, but fruit not as large now as earlier. Better Boy, as much as y'all snicker, is very prolific and trouble free as it usually is, and can't be beat for the taste I like. Firm and meaty, and just the right tartness. Lots of fruit, but just not as large as the heirlooms I'm growing. Big Beef is also in the overall top five with some really nice fruit with a good taste.

I'll guess over 50% of my tomatoes have split from too much water I'm guessing. I'm chunking out softball size heirlooms that are split and ruined every time I visit the patch. I really have to catch them just right to get them at full maturity without cracking. I am also having trouble with something that is pecking lots of the tomatoes.

For taste, my top ones are (in no order) Cherokee Purple, Paul Robeson, Earl's, Big Beef, Better Boy, BW Sudduth, and Mortgage Lifter.

Don