Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 7, 2017   #15
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcgrady View Post
The Pro Mix BX has the mycorrhizal fungus in the mix, you have to add water/wetten the mix to activate the fungus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcgrady View Post
The Pro Mix BX has the mycorrhizal fungus in the mix, you have to add water/wetten the mix to activate the fungus.
I know Promix and some others have mycorrhizal fungi spores in it, that's all well and good but the method used in the research was priming with the spores at the point of sowing the seed. I've used MycoGrow, Great White and others which have a higher mycorrhizal spore count for that and more species of mycorrhizal fungi. I've had great success in dealing with Early Blight by inoculating as early as possible. I believe the reason for this is that it takes about a week or so for the spores to germinate and successfully infect the roots. It then may take weeks more for the mycorrhizal fungi to have a positive effect on inducing resistance in the plant to Early Blight. You want that systemic induced resistance to be there well before the environmental conditions are right for Early Blight to attack.

Here's some links to more research done that I posted in another thread a few years ago.

Interplant Communication of Tomato Plants through
Underground Common Mycorrhizal Networks

Mechanism of tomato plants enhanced disease resistance against early blight primed by arbuscular mycorrhizal fungus Glomus versiforme

Resistance induction in the pathosystem tomato – Alternaria solani
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote