Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 27, 2017   #1
CharlieM
Tomatovillian™

Default ? about fertilizer application

Hello
My tomato plants are in a raised bed and I use black plastic film for mulch. I also cover my plants with bird netting so it is difficult to get to the base of each plant to apply my fertilizer (ammonia sulfate granules and water mixture). I have been thinking (dangerous I know) about getting some 3" PVC pipe and cut in into 1' lengths, putting a cap on one end and then drilling some 1/4" holes in the 1' section and the end caps. I would then drive the PVC pieces (end cap down) about 6" deep into the tomato row about 6" from the base of each plant. One on each side of the plant. I could then take a 1/2" flexible tubing, run this through the netting mesh. I could then pour the fertilizer and water mix thru the tubing into the 3" PVC pieces until they fill with the mixture.

Sorry for being so long, but now my question...if I fertilize using this method will it be harmful to the plants since the fertilizer is not being applied to the surface soil but underground where it will come into direct contact with the roots of the plant?

I would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Charlie
CharlieM is offline   Reply With Quote