Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 1, 2016   #1
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

Default Tomato varieties named after people, places, or other foods?

I'm waiting for my tomatoes to ripen, which naturally leads to planning next year's garden.
This year I grew 19 varieties from seed (first time!), and have 27 tomato plants in total. I'm sure that some of this year's varieties will return in 2017, but as a newbie tomato-grower I'd like to try new ones, too. I'd appreciate suggestions of tomatoes that fit the following categories so I can organize next year's raised beds thematically:
1. Tomatoes named after people (living/dead/imaginary) - e.g., Abe Lincoln
2. Tomatoes named after places/nationalities - e.g., Adelaide Festival, German Striped
3. Tomatoes named after other foods - e.g., Chocolate Cherry

I'll also have a "grab-bag" bed to accommodate varieties like "Goatbag" and "Girl Girl's Weird Thing," but I already know/have plenty of those. So, what are the very best tomatoes in categories 1, 2, and 3, and why do you like them? (I realize this might be a strange way to plan a garden. If you knew me in real life, you'd understand.)
HudsonValley is offline   Reply With Quote