Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 28, 2016   #11
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by loulac View Post
Let me add my pinch of salt.
When you process your meat you will know exactly what you put in it. I recently read in a medical publication that when you eat 50 grammes of processed pork meat every day you mulitiply your risk of colon cancer by 20. I can't believe pork meat is noxious by itself, I strongly suspect the different substances that are added to improve conservation, color, taste etc.
So if my chances of getting colon cancer from pork is 0 then 20 times 0 is still 0 right.
Some of this research I have read up on many times.
One is the nitrates and nitrites and I have a thread here some place on the subject.
Plants are full of them.
The biggest no no when cooking cured meat like bacon is to almost burn it .
This converts the nitrates into nitrosamines which is a cancer causing compound.
Some of that research involved feeding rats the equivalent of what would be for us a ton of it.
No doubt research done by an anti meat person.

Other than the health issues from factory processed meats my biggest two reasons for making my own sausage is flavor and economics.
One I cannot buy the sausage I make at the store.
Two the sausage they sell is over the top expensive.
Take meat scraps and turn it into gold by adding spices and putting it into casings.
This stuff ranges from about $6.00 a pound on up.

Now to the meat processing station.
The darn varnish is almost dry but not quite due to the humidity.
The humidity is killing me.
Why I didn't add Japan drier to the mix is beyond me the darn can is right there.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote