Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 25, 2016   #1
braybright

Default BB's Family Garden - 2016

Let's start with an overview of what I am hoping to do in my garden this year, and what I have to work with.

I have four raised beds in my backyard, 42x42" and 6" deep. I'm planning on doing peas, beans, herbs and various greens in at least three of these, and likely summer squash in the fourth.

I have fifteen 5 gallon and ten 3.5 gallon food-grade buckets that I will put drainage holes in and use mainly for tomatoes for fresh eating. I may use 2 or 3 of those for additional (compact) summer squash. I also have ten or so square planters that are probably equivalent to 3 gallons, which will be used for peppers and a couple of eggplants.

I have one community garden plot, roughly 28x50'. It's located a ten minute drive away. I am hoping to keep the deer out with a fishing line fence (similar to this). I'd like to try the no-till method after I clear it of the small brush and sticks that litter it currently. What I would like to grow here is winter squash, okra, peppers and tomatoes for processing into sauce, juice, and salsa.

I am still finalizing my grow list but I have 50 or so milk jugs wintersown and sprouting already (flowers and herbs). I'll start my tomatoes and peppers within the next week or so but as my space under lights in the garage is very limited, I'll winter sow a few as well, My growing season averages 172 days so this method has been successful for me so far.

As a fairly new gardener (3 years) I've grown only a few kinds of tomatoes which did not produce to their potential due to failings on my part (Black Krim, Banana Legs, Sungold, SunSugar, Sweet 100, 4th of July, Indigo Rose) and cool-weather crops in containers I've managed better with (various greens, root crops, and peas). This year I have an ambitious grow list and loads of seed so I'll have the confidence to sow with abandon!