Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 13, 2016   #1
PaddyMc
Tomatovillian™

Default Blue Varigated Tiger

[(Varigated Potato Leaf x Stripe Big Cheef) F3 x (KBX x Siberian Tiger) F1]F1

This cross combines a large number of interesting genes including strong leaf and fruit anthocyanin (Aft/Atv), leaf variegation, fruit stripes, and a bunch of great taste from most of the parents.
What I'm hunting is all of the above. Especially the combination of strong variegation on dark antho leaves (especially potato leaves). So, I'm starting a LOT of F2 seeds, as only about 1 in 32 will show leaf variegation (and 1/64 variegation and antho). I'm going for a mass planting and letting them grow to 2nd true leaf to look for variegation.
This method has proven successful in a couple other variegated-leaf breeding projects (including one of the parents in this line).

In a perfect world, there's a black and white variegated, potato leaf, striped, dark antho-topped (maybe with tiger stripes?) productive large fruited plant with excellent taste out there.

Here's the F1's so far -

FY 1-2 Early, and very, very productive, and tastes like KBX (that's a good thing).

FY 1-1

Here's the actual winner of the 2015 growoff in this line
FY 2-1 -

So, so productive and the taste is awesome. Really deep and complex.

If anybody wants in on this project, let me know, this is a "more is better" sort of thing.
PaddyMc is offline   Reply With Quote