Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 23, 2016   #1
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Default Soil ?

About 5 years ago I made some raise beds (20" high) and filled with a "super soil" mix of 30% sand/silt & 70% compost. Every other year I have topped them off with the same mix, as I have a supplier that I get the stuff pretty cheap. This maybe a "rookie move," as I now am seeing a lot of the sand silt - but haven't tilled or anything.

The soil has lots of life and have no problem growing anything. The loose composition helps drain. Previously I used a top soil mix with bad results (thus the move to the super soil), as we get a heavy wet spring and things became too damp for too long - producing lots of disease - esp. w/ tomatoes.

It is that time again to do a light "topping." Thinking about mixing it up, but then again, the super soil has been a great performer and can just add another layer.

Has anybody here ever just gone with the supersoil? It does breakdown some, but drains well. I live on about 2 acres of heavy clay in the river valley where water can pool - thus the raised beds.

Figure it would be a good time to ask before I add, LOL. TIA
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote