Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 31, 2015   #1
EscazuMike
Tomatovillian™

Default A ribbed cherry crossed with Joe's Oxheart and Indigo Rose

I've had a small tomato I've been growing for about 20 years plus, ribbed, crunchy. I believe Carolyn is going to distribute its seeds under the name of Selbo's Ribbed Red. Well at Carolyn's suggestion, I tried to cross it to other varieties last year and I had a Joe's Pink Oxheart and an Indigo Rose growing in 2014 that I used as pollen parents and made the two crosses. This summer I grew out both (F1's) and got some interesting results. A crunchy round high producing cherry with occasional blue-ish shoulders from the cross with Indigo Rose, and a larger slightly ribbed heart shaped small fruited variety from the cross with Joe's Pink Oxheart, also crunchy, both with great flavor. The second was bigger than my Ribbed Red, but no where near the size of the Pink Oxheart. More productive than Joe's Pink for me, but much less so than my original plant. Looking forward to seeing what develops in the F2 generation. I have a few of the cross with Indigo Rose growing out in the So California Fall, one has a ribbed round cherry sized fruit, the other has nippled cherry like fruit, so I'm looking forward to seeing what the future holds.

I've attached two pictures of clusters of my original ribbed tomato, and then a picture of my hand with the two crosses and myoriginal tomato, and a plateful of the three tomatoes.

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04970 (Copy) (Copy).JPG (226.4 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04971 (Copy) (Copy).JPG (244.8 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2657 (Copy) (Copy).JPG (193.2 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2661 (Copy) (Copy) (Copy).JPG (124.0 KB, 120 views)
EscazuMike is offline   Reply With Quote