Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 5, 2015   #12
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronabarb View Post
That's an interest point about the cukes being handled by customers or kids. I just saw that report about the cukes from Mexico and repeated that comment there. How often do you see kids running amok in the produce section. That is why I always take produce from the top of the bin where most kids can't reach. BUT if an adult handled a package of chicken that's dripping and then handled all the apples, well that is an outbreak waiting to happen. So important to wash all your produce well. And the thought of that makes me sick...yuk!

Will read the rest in a bit.
Having worked in Wegmans produce for a long time, I can tell you a few things with certainty.
Fruit travels all over the display so what was on the top may end up on the bottom, to left, right, etc. Like if everyone is grabbing from the top, an employee will come along and move bottom ones up to fix the display til it actually gets empty enough to warrant going in the back for another box. So do not assume anything about where it is on the display.
Adults are often more disgusting that kids, especially older people! They are the ones, for example, who sample a grape out of all the packages looking for the magical bag with better flavor. They are also the ones who eat cherries and plums and spit the pits out, not the kids.
Also, that produce get picked in the field so it is handled at least by one person maybe two depending on how the product is package. Then at least one store employee touchs it. Then customers touch them and maybe more employees. So a lot of hands go on them.
Point being for everyone to take away. People of all ages are gross. WASH OFF all produce before eating!!
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote