Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 27, 2015   #13
FredB
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Fred posted:

Responding to one of Carolyn's comments, I have also seen red-fruited plants show up in the F2 and later generations of Sungold. This means that one of the parents is a red tomato and the other is an orange tomato with the dominant B gene for orange color. See the link below from Frogsleap Farm for information on the genetics of tomato color.

&&&&&&

No, it doesn't mean that one of the parents ( complete genome) is a red tomato, S . Pimpinellifoium has been used in the breeding of many cherry tomatoes since pimp has a geneS) for the flat truss type that is typical for so many cherries.

So in breeding Sungold F1, for sure they are breeding in just the gene(s)( associated with the flat truss) but also some associated pigment gene(s) that wentalong for the ride.

And Travis spoke topimp in an earlier post here as well.

So no, S pimp was never one parent with the complete genome being involved.

Carolyn
Carolyn -

To clarify, I think that some of the supersweet hybrid cherry tomatoes have Solanum pimpinellifolium as one of the parents in the F1. I read about this about 20 years ago, but I can't find the reference now. I think they were referring to Sweet 100 Hybrid, the first of the supersweet cherries. However, this may also be the case for some of the newer supersweets. For instance, I'm pretty sure Johnny's Jasper Hybrid gets its dark red color and Septoria resistance from a pimpinellifolium parent in the F1.

With respect to Sungold Hybrid, it was bred by a Japanese company and apparently they never published how it was derived. At least I couldn't find any account in English. Based on what I see in the F2 generation, I think that both parents were probably S. lycopersicum, but at least one of of them must have had something exotic in its ancestry. As you mentioned, the long flat trusses of fruits may have come from pimpinellifolium. I don't know where the orange color came from. I tried crossing S. lycopersicum with S. cheesmaniae and S. galapagense, both of which are orange, but in both cases the F1 was nothing like Sungold.

Fred

Last edited by FredB; August 27, 2015 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Fixed a couple of typos; corrected spelling of cheesmaniae
FredB is offline   Reply With Quote