Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 9, 2007   #1
CLa
Tomatovillian™

Default The easiest self watering container as of yet?

Figured I would share some more pics of my plant.

The container has to be like 4 gallons size if not less, Its one of those containers that they sell you trees in. I'm going to put them to use8)

Three good steps I made:

1: Put some sizable rocks to fill in and reduce the area of large holes, making them smaller so the soil dirt mix etc wont run into the watering pan.

2: Crushed beer cans, (hehe yeah I know its what i had at the time) I used them to prop up the container from the bottom of the watering pan about 1/2 - 1 inch high. (next time I will use something else.) So there is also a patch of roots growing out the bottom hole which is in the center. I do have to water like every day, I try to keep the water level right above the bottom of the plant container, maintaining that consistency so the plant will be so used to it in hopes that the fruit will not crack.

3:A small handful of fertilizer 2-3 inches below the top soil line hugging the wall of the container to keep it away from the main root stem.

Currently the plant looks like this now:

Here is what the bottom of the pan looks like, roots growing out from one of the corner holes of the plant container into the water:

And here is the ripest Black Krim. (currently about the size of a small size baseball I'd say:

If I put one of these outdoors, then of course I would have to cover the container and the outer watering container below with Black plastic of some sort. (OR, drill a hole in the side of the outer container, and allow it to collect the rain) But it could get messy in there, have to think on that one)
CLa is offline   Reply With Quote