Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 29, 2015   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Fall Potatoes

I am curious to find info from Tomativillians who grow potatoes in Fall. I have never seen anyone where I live growing potatoes in Autumn. I did find a plant-out date for them though. In a different thread, a Tomatoville member posted a link to a very helpful site that shows plant-out dates for your zip code. http://allthingsplants.com/apps/calendar/?q=76050 Just put in your zip code instead of mine - 76050. My plant-out date for Fall potatoes is August 5 - September 4.

Yes, I remember the Tomatoville member's nickname who posted the link.

Anyway, I dug up potatoes less than a week ago. I grew two varieties, White Kennebec and Red LaSoda. The Red LaSoda grew through the flooding rains and hail storms just fine with a little help from hilling them after tornados and hail. They produced somewhat undersized potatoes, but they are a thin skinned red boiling potato that goes well in soups and stir-fries - so smaller size is a benefit.

The White Kennebec grow tiny potatoes. In less than a week after digging them up, they are putting on eyes - A LOT of eyes. Below is a picture of a few of them compared to golf balls.

I know I am not going to find seed potatoes here locally in August. As I wrote above, I've never seen anyone growing potatoes here in Autumn. Well, here I have a lot of small potatoes growing eyes - just wanting to be planted. To me, it seems logical to give them the chance to grow this Fall.

What do you think?

I'm also thinking of planting a 40' row of Red LaSoda as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0025.JPG (63.2 KB, 150 views)

Last edited by AlittleSalt; June 29, 2015 at 10:17 AM.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote