Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 23, 2015   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Too Much Rain for Peppers?

In our established garden and raised beds, the peppers planted seem happy that it has been raining every other day for weeks now. In the new garden that has clay a few inches under the loam soil that was moved there about 2 months ago - well, it seems too wet. This new garden is what this is all about.

It rained a half inch overnight. The soil was already wet (Not soaking) because of this unusually wet spring. It never gets a chance to dry out. Today, I noticed some lower yellowing leaves on some of the pepper plants. It looks like when you overwater while they were in solo cups. I've also been noticing thinner leaves on the Chocolate Cherry Bomb plants. The leaves are slightly curled on the edges.

My idea was to get the new garden started this spring and add leaves, composted manure, straw, lawn cuttings and to grow a lot of Black Eyed Peas to turn under in it this summer. The overall idea is to end with an 18'x60' raised bed that is uniformly 6" deep on top of the existing clay. I just didn't expect all this rain. We have been in a drought since 2007....Not anymore.

As always, any comments, thoughts, ideas are welcome.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote