Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 16, 2014   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Nuwave for Dehydration ?

This past spring, it seemed like most of the seed selling sites had ads for the Nuwave oven or the Nuwave hotplate thing. My brother bought the Nuwave oven, tried it, and quickly tried to talk me into taking it. I finally took it a few days ago because I have a bunch of peppers I would like to make into chili powders. I looked at the instruction manuals and the recipe book. The book briefly tells about dehydrating meats and fruit, but not vegetables.

So, as most of my threads have been like this year, a question:

Have any of you used the Nuwave oven to dehydrate peppers or tomatoes?

Because of freezing temperatures, I have green tomatoes that I'm unsure of what to do with, and 3 of 5 varieties of peppers. I oven dried all the banana peppers and ground them into chili powder. They were the plain banana peppers (Not Hot or Hungarian Wax.) The chili powder from them has a small amount of heat and it tastes nice.

The other variety of peppers that I know what I want to do with is TAM Jalapeno. I'm going to cut them in half and smoke them with oak wood.

The other three are Anaheim, Serrano, and Tabasco. I dried a pan of red Serrano peppers and ground them into chili powder. Getting the powder a couple feet away made me sneeze, eyes watered, and that closing of the throat feeling. But it also smelled so good.

Any ideas or info is much appreciated.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote