Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 7, 2014   #1
enchant
Tomatovillian™

Default Saving seeds from one tomato vs. another

I was having a couple beers with my brother the other night. He also grows tomatoes, although he grows strictly from flats purchased at a nursery, whereas I've recently started growing from seeds purchased mail order.

I brought over one of my larger, more splendid Brandywines, which really impressed him. "They all coming in that big?" "No, this is one of the biggest."

He told me that I should save the seeds from this specific tomato and plant only those next year, and that would give me plants with big tomatoes. I'm no botanist, but I can't believe it works that way. I'd think that if a plant produces small tomatoes and large tomatoes, the seeds from one shouldn't produce offspring that are substantially different from those from another.

Am I wrong about this? I bought a packet of 250 Brandywine seeds, and I have 244 left. Is there any reason I should be saving seeds from any of these tomatoes?
enchant is offline   Reply With Quote