Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 26, 2014   #1
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

Default Hydrogen Peroxide for Early blight, etc

Has anyone successfully used hydrogen peroxide for control of early blight and/or other disease? A local N. Tx gardening personality, Howard Garrett, A/k/a the dirt doctor says he does. He is very big on natural solutions and chemical avoidance and I think sometimes his claims are based on his anecdotal experiences vs. studies, but, when you are using less toxic materials, it seems worth a shot with or without studies. Here is what he recently said in a newsletter and I wonder if any of you have successfully used it:

"I have used hydrogen peroxide as part of Sick Tree Treatment to cure Rose Rosette on Knockout roses and various diseases like powdery mildew on crape myrtles and early blight on tomatoes[...stuff about using it to control mustard algae in a pool...]

You can also use the grocery or drug store 3% stuff for treatment of Rose Rosette, powdery mildew, fire blight, curly top and other plant pathogens. If you chose the 3% product, use about 2 parts water and 1 part hydrogen peroxide in the mix. Or better still, for plant diseases, add it to Garrett Juice instead of using just water. Adding about 16 oz. of 3% hydrogen peroxide to 1 gallon of Garrett Juice (ready-to-spray mix) seems to work very well for controlling various plant diseases. Spraying straight 3% product will burn plants in hot weather and is a waste of money.

Whether using concentrated 33% product or grocery store 3% product, the spray coming out of the sprayer should be about 1% hydrogen peroxide or slightly less. It is amazing how well it works and there is no need for the toxic chemicals. Hydrogen peroxide is a chemical but just one atom different than water (H2O2 vs H2O) and degrades very quickly to water and oxygen. It will even happen in the containers after being exposed to air, so always use fresh material – even for those personal cuts and scrapes."

I know some of you use Garrett juice and I have as well. This is not an effort to push any product. However, if there are ways to control disease that are less toxic, then I'm interested. Feedback appreciated.

Dewayne Mater
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote