Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 13, 2014   #17
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

My 2x3's are standard studs, screwed into the wood beds. They only cost a little over $2 each which was much cheaper than PVC. I used jute twine last year and spiraled the plants up the twine, but that was costly for 180 plants. This year I'm using poly twine and I'm going to use the Florida Weave with only 108 plants instead of pruning and spiraling. I got 3000 clips but they are labor intensive, too, so I plan on only using them in special situations. I got the link for the twine (10,000 ft spool) from Carolyn Phillips in her "Just Showing Off" thread.

http://hydro-gardens.com/growsup1.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigiwu View Post
Love these pictures! I would think the bottom conduit would help with bracing?

Salsa Charley, How tall are your 2x3 (8ft or 10ft or?) and are they buried in the ground or only nailed/screwed to the wood beds? Also what kind of twine are you using? Are you just twirling the plant around the string or are you using clips?

but again, I'm shocked to hear that these conduits don't sag. I was thinking of using rebar coz I am that paranoid?

No issues with the wind just blowing everything over?
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote