Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 11, 2014   #1
aclum
Tomatovillian™

Default "Adaptation to the Garden"

Hi,

Recently I've been re-reading bits and pieces of Carolyn's Book (100 Heirloom Tomatoes for the American Garden). I keep running across very interesting stuff that I'd sort of just skimmed over before because I wasn't interested in at the time or that I'd just forgotten. One such thing was the mention of some varieties (notably Hungarian Oval and Santa Clara Canner) possibly needing "adaptation to your garden" to perform well.

In the two instances named above the plants didn't fare too well in the particular garden/climate, but growing the second year from seeds saved from the fruit of the original planting performed much better and continued to do so in subsequent years.

The way I read it, it seemed like such an easy thing to do and sort of like it was an accepted or known practice. First I'd heard of it, but that doesn't mean anything!

I've had varieties that people rave about but just never do well for me. I'll give it second or third chances, but still same disappointing results. As I just started doing some seed saving last year, I had always replanted from the original seed packet. I take it that now, if I wanted to give it a fair shot, I should grow it out year 1, save the seeds and use these for my "second chance" growout. And that the variety may well then be adapted to my garden and actually live up to all the "hype" !

It seems sort of improbable to me that an adaptation could take place so quickly. I don't really understand it all and would like to learn more. Anyone care to explain/discuss it in more detail?

Thanks!
Anne
aclum is offline   Reply With Quote