Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 13, 2013   #1
TomNJ
Tomatovillian™

Default Emerald Giant Broccoli

I grew three varieties of broccoli this year, and Emerald Giant (hybrid) is clearly the winner!

The spring planting was Di Cicco, which was described on the package as having small main heads of 3-4", but noted for an extended crop of side shoots. As advertised, my main heads were small, but so were the side shoots, and slow coming as well. Rather than waste the real estate waiting for these little shoots, I pulled the plants and started a fall planting.

The fall planting consisted of 15 plants each of Waltham 29 and Emerald Giant . The Waltham 29 came in first, just 56 days, with lovely large dark green heads, followed by a good crop of large side shoots. The heads were reasonably tight but started bolting fairly quickly, so I had to watch them.

At the time the Waltham 29s came in, the Emerald Giant had much smaller heads and were paler in color, having two shades of yellowish bright green. After another 10 days, however, they got huge, like 7-9", and darkened in color, while remaining very tight. I trimmed, blanched and froze them today and was just amazed at their beautiful structure. They also outscored the Waltham 29 in taste.

Needless to say, the Emerald Giants are invited back next year! I have attached a photo of some of the heads after washing.

TomNJ/VA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_1733s.jpg (193.5 KB, 98 views)
TomNJ is offline   Reply With Quote