Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 12, 2013   #1
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Default Stand out peppers for 2013

Sandia -Good heat. Nice and straight, plants put out a ton of fruit.

Cayenne, long thick hot-PROLIFIC-Plants were so loaded I had to stake them twice and they just kept on pumping out big peppers. My choice for ristras & my husbands choice for chili powder.

Santa Fe Gande-Beautiful plants that always had 3 colors of peppers on them. I use them in place of jalapenos. Terrific pickled and a very colorful addition to salsa.

Giant Marconi-HUGE!! Sweet and I stuff them with beans, rice, cheese and corn and grill them. 10-15 giant peppers on plants that had to be staked.

Bahamian Starfish-HOT little mothers but very tangy and a nice addition to salsa or chili. Giant plants (4’ +) and too many peppers to count. Usually orange, red and yellow all on the plant at same time. A great pickled pepper if you like them hot!

Big Jim Legacy-I have grown every Big Jim there is and this one leaves the others in the dust! 10-12 inches, nice and straight, early red color, fabulous roasted or grilled, stuffed or not. Lots and lots of fruit and plants need staking because fruit are so large.

Big Bertha-Absolutely huge blocky, elongated peppers. Plants averaged 7 giants per plant. Early red color. Lots of foliage to prevent scorching.

Donkey Ears/Elephant Ears-Big, beautiful plants and lots of very long, flat peppers that are “squished” looking. Think a poblano that has been ironed! One of the sweetest we grew. I used them for sweet pepper relish and they were great.

Guajillo –These have always been one of my favorites! Very prolific, easy grow, plants loaded with fruit. I love these grilled. When we grill a whole fish, I put these in the body cavity. These are also my favorites to stuff with cream cheese, batter and fry…giant poppers that are crisper than jalapenos. Husband likes them diced in an omelet.

Trinidad Perfume-Look like Trinidad Scorpion but no heat! Neon yellow to orange. Very citrusy flavor and about the size of a golf ball. Bushy plants loaded with fruit. My favorite stuffed with cream cheese. When you see this plant, loaded with this bright fruit, it just makes you smile!

I had lots of peppers this year and most did well but these above just outdid themselves.

Last edited by brokenbar; September 13, 2013 at 09:05 AM.
brokenbar is offline   Reply With Quote