Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 4, 2013   #11
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Here are some pictures taken yesterday of my grafted plants. I didn't get many of the whole single plants because they are pretty close together and my beds don't have much space between them so it is hard to get where I can take a picture of the larger plants. I think I could get a few pictures of some of the plants in the top tomato bed if I stand among the squash in the next bed. I'll try it today and see if I can.

1st is a picture of bed of grafted plants set out on March 17.

2nd is a picture of grafted plants all on the fluke rootstock that were set out on April 1. Even though they were planted two weeks later than the first bed most of them are as tall and with almost as good a fruit set.

3rd is my plant that had two scions one Fish Lake Oxheart (on left side) and the other Donskoi (on the right) grafted onto a Tasti-Lee rootstock. It was planted out on April 22.

4th is the lower fruit set on a German Johnson grafted onto my fluke rootstock planted on April 1.

5th is the lowest fruit set on a Delicious grafted onto a Ball's Beefsteak. I counted almost 70 set tomatoes that were easily visible. I don't think this one will produce any record size toms with that load of fruit on it and more setting every day. I probably should have culled this one heavily.

Last is a Crynkovic Yugoslavian grafted onto my fluke rootstock. I have never had one last long enough to get a ripe tomato off of it before fusarium kills it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this rootstock will help it although I have a couple of plants showing definite distress from fusarium but that is a puny amount compared to the usual mess I deal with every year at this time.

I could possibly have some sun scald problems with the loss of foliage on the bottoms of the plants but most of them have good coverage on top. I have had to deal with Gray Mold, Early Blight and Powdery Mildew and that is with them being sprayed every week with Daconil. Actually the diseases have not taken their usual toll on the plants so far so they are in good shape for this time of the year. We really could use a good rain though since we haven't had any for at least 3 weeks and with the heat we are having it hard to keep them hydrated. Of course now that I have the diseases pretty well under control a nice couple of showers could get them going full blast again.

Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NE view of bed #3__ 6-3.jpg (288.9 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg SW veiw 2 of bed # 5.jpg (326.7 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg TS--FLO-DK two scion graft 6-3.jpg (358.3 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg RS-GJ__ 6-3.jpg (192.4 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg BLSB-DEL__6-3 counted 65+ easy to see toms.jpg (264.2 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg RS-CY__6-3.jpg (265.4 KB, 44 views)
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote