Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 16, 2013   #10
DavidP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post

If you are growing multiple plants of the same variety why not try different numbers of stems on a few and compare the results. It has taken me quite a few years of trial and error to find out which varieties do better with what kind of pruning so now I have plants with anywhere from one to eight stems growing during every season.

Any recommendations on single stemming vs just allowing natural bushing. I have 3 grafted plants on Maxifort and corresponding ungrafted (Red Brandywine and Cherokee Purple) and I'm trying single stem and also just letting them getting on with it in a a cage. In past years using Maxifort and Beaufort I've got large plants but not always great production but thats always just with no pruning.
Don't have any problems with foliage diseases here but do have potential for root knot nematodes, although plants will go thru the winter but then when they wake up again in Spring again I do seem to get foliage disease then, which I think is mites most likely, so now I've stopped trying to overwinter plants.

I'm interested in seeing how pruning affects the productive quality of the plants. I seem to have had a problem with almost too much vegetative growth in the past, for the last three seasons anyway since I started playing around with grafting.

At the moment grafted and ungrafted plants look pretty much the same but thats mainly because the grafts have finally caught up with their ungrafted siblings, usually for here on out they will outgrow the ungrafted. My poor technique means a large setback on grafted plants.
DavidP is offline   Reply With Quote