Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 23, 2013   #10
GunnarSK
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I'm still waiting for some new seeds to arrive. Yesterday two new ones from Clara (Germany)came, she'd sent some great ones earlier, I love the name of one that came yesterday called Heartbreaker in translation, waiting for some seeds from Fred Hempel, and still waiting for seeds from Marina in Russia. She got mine, and we sent each other seeds just one day apart, but mine aren't here yet.
You're not going anywhere, nor am I so when things calm down I'll get back to you, I will, on some of what you said in your original post, with which I don't agree.
But quickly, my selection for what Craig and I named OTV Brandywine was based on the picture that was sent back to Craig L, who had sent seeds of Yellow Brandywine to this person and the picture and F2 seeds were sent back to Craig.So I tried to select for a large red beefsteak on a plant with PL foliage as was shown in the picture from the F2 seeds sent back.And it took me out to the F5 or F6, I can't remember right now. No greenhouse growing, just 5-6 long years making selections each summer.
Carolyn
Yes, we'll probably never know (unless genetic testing becomes commonplace) how Green Doctors came about in the first place. I know sometimes Kozula grew two or even three generations per year in polytunnels while she was a marketgrower, so some of her crosses come in several generations depending on who did the growout (eg. F4 to F8).
GunnarSK is offline   Reply With Quote