Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 10, 2012   #1
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Default bagging up leaves

On another forum, I learned that jute bags are available in the UK for bagging up leaves. You fill the burlap bag, put it in an out-of-the-way corner for a year (the base of your hedgerow!), and you get leaf mold in a year (or so). The bag keeps the leaves from blowing around, and it decomposes along with the leaves. I think it's a brilliant idea. It would save towns lots of money -- all those trucks that wouldn't be collecting leaves!

I've heard of one place that's giving away free compost bins, for leaves and other compostables -- Montgomery Co., MD. Lots of places give discounts.

This is the first year I've had a nice haul of leaves at the same location as my compost bins (instead of several miles away). So I filled one bin with moist leaves, and I'm hoping for some nice leaf mold in a couple years. I even have extras for my regular compost. But most people around here send them offsite.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote