Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 6, 2012   #1
uno
Tomatovillian™

Default Keeping mice from eating pea seeds

After looking into some of the pea varieties recommended in the other thread I realized that if I want to have ANY peas actually grow I got to make sure that the mice do not eat them. So I thought I would make a separate thread for this topic.

I have a neighbor that has an unbelievable mess of a house and I think that is where the rodent problem comes from...so I guess I can't really eliminate the problem I just have to deal with the best I can.

I grow 100% organic with the exception of pea seeds treated with fungicide. The reason is that the mice don't eat the seed that is treated with the fungicide.

So a few years ago I tried growing Sugar Snap and Cascadia both from untreated organic seed and the mice ate literally 99% of what I planted. I didn't notice at first but then I looked and there was little tunnels under nearly every inch of what I planted.

I'm looking for ways of preventing mice from eating my seed. I know I could just transplant the peas, but I plan on planting a few pounds of seed so it would be a major pain to do that.

I would like to treat the seeds with something or find seeds treated with fungicide because I know that this works and it's simple.

I'm having trouble finding seed sources of dwarf snap peas that are treated with fungicide or that would solve my problem.

I want to try Sugar Sprint ( I have a treated seed source for this one) Sugar lace II and Cascadia.

But in the event that I cant find seed sources that are treated with fungicide I'm looking for ways to treat the seed myself or find other ways of prevent the mice from eating everything before it even sprouts.

Thanks

Jim
uno is offline   Reply With Quote