Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Historical background information for varieties handed down from bygone days.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 20, 2012   #19
kurt
Tomatovillian™

I live here in Homestead Fl.I am 1 mile east of the "Glades"It grows wild all throughout my area.We have a fishing camp in Everglades City which is across the state (west)and it also grows wild.I have spoken to some original familys from the area that migrated to Ev.City some 80 years ago and they were told that the Spaniards (pirates )introduced them to the Ft.Meyers area when they used the west coast as thier staging areas and ports.Thier are some books about a pirate named Gaspar that mentioned tomatoes in the area brought on ships from S America.They do grow massive and in a clump of plants you will see some pinks and light reds.A clump meaning maybe 20-30 plants 20-30 foot round in all stages of life.They are a little on the tart side for me and a pain in the butt to pick since you need so many to make a mouthful.So in the minds of the Everglade City residents they should be considered a hierloom but I don't think they really care becuase of thier independent and controversial history.The town is notorious for its rum/drug/pirate infused history.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote