Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 26, 2012   #12
tedln

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitat_gardener View Post
It's a mind-boggling sight and a great site to visit! I toured one of the local transfer stations with a class several years ago. The main dumping area was a huge pit, viewed from a walkway far above it. A constant stream of garbage trucks lumbered in and out, with 6 or 8 trucks on each side dumping at once. In the pit, an earth mover in constant motion moved, smoothed out, and compacted the piles. We were told the stream of garbage trucks was constant all day, from when it opened iirc at 6am until midafternoon.

This transfer station had a separate area for recyclables, yard waste, and construction waste, yet some of the garbage trunks were dumping loads of yard waste and construction materials.

Since the transfer station was located in an urban area (Oakland), the compacted garbage in the pit was transferred to other trucks, which drove it to the dump, miles away.
When I was much younger, I spent a lot of time at garbage dumps scavenging lumber to build things with. I never could believe the quantity of high quality lumber contractors tossed when they completed a job. I don't think you can do that anymore because most dumps have recycling programs.

Ted