Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 27, 2012   #22
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytwofingers View Post
From the package, my beans are: Bean (Bush) Tendergreen Improved

I'll attach a picture of how I have them planted.....
Wish I could attach a picture, but I have the same variety planted in the end of a long planter that is 8'x2'. The soil is about 10" deep and the seeds were sown at 4" spacing in all directions in the last 2' of the box. The rest of the box is filled with early carrots. These seeds were sown early with the help of glass storm windows placed over the planter to hold in the heat and protect from frost so that we are harvesting baby carrots now to thin out the rows and the beans are about 2' high with very tiny beans appearing now. The point is that everything is growing well and happy in this container bed.

There have been threads about growing onions and other vegetables in "clumps" instead of singly and I think that with your beans already started and the size they are now it would be safer to plant the clump and not separate. Beans aren't heavy feeders. jmo

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote