Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 13, 2012   #1
zabby17
Tomatovillian™

Default Paths Between Beds

So, question for others who have multiple raised beds. What do you put on your paths?

I have 11 beds, in three rows plus a separate grouping, all in the middle of the yard (not against a fence), so there's a lot of path going on between them.

I hate to spend time weeding them, and if I don't they'll grow monster plants of all kinds, so I started mulching with cardboard covered by straw, which I can get fairly easily and cheaply from a local farmer.

BUT I am finding the upkeep a pain---all the paths really need a thick layer of new straw every year and, usually, a new layer of cardboard, too, if the path is to last all season. (This year I'm already too late renewing---there are weeds galore with the early warm weather.) Frustrates me to spend so much time maintaining non-productive space.

So I'm considering trying to get a local tree company to deliver a load of wood chips. I've used them once in the past on part of my paths when a neighbour gave me some, and they seemed to have more like TWO seasons in them before needing renewal.

But would they be twice as much work to spread in the first place? And would a tree place probably give me a load free if I asked, or does one usually have to buy them?

I"m really tempted to just pay someone to lay down gravel, but I know the minute I do that I'm going to suddenly have some reason to want to move the beds and I'll regret it.....

Advice welcome! Help save most of Zabby's garden effort for her PLANTS!

Z
zabby17 is offline   Reply With Quote