Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 18, 2012   #11
ArcherB
Tomatovillian™

I have two this year and plan on building at least two more next year. I hope to build at least two a year and use them to slowly replace my in ground beds as these actually make better use of space than my current set up. So far, my only experience with SWC's has been with a 5-gallon bucket and it has yet to do as well as anything in the ground. This year, my container plants are doing at least as well as my in ground, even the 5-gallon bucket SWC. It helps to plant a small plant in those. Guess I'm applying what I've learned.

I try to compensate for my lack of engineering skills by employing skill bartering. For example, the guy that lives across the street from me is a "wood shop" kinda guy. You know the type; has two of every tool you could possibly would ever want, builds his own work bench complete with peg-board and dead tool silhouettes and created his own man-cave in his garage complete with window unit AC (literally built a room inside his garage... took him about a day). This year, I fixed his computer when it was infected with a virus, installed Linux on it to prevent it from happening again and taught him how to use it, gave him several seedlings that I had started for him and printed out the EarthTainer guide (on recycled paper, of course) so he could build his own. Next year, we plan on pooling our resources and building them together. With his tools and knowledge, your instructions and my plants, we might get something accomplished. Although, he did poke fun at me when he saw me using my wife's pink hammer to do some work in the garage this evening, he still offered to loan me one with a manly colored handle to protect my manhood.

Don't get me wrong, the instructions are simple enough for guys like me to follow, but unfortunately, no amount of quality instructions can help a mouse-jockey like me saw a straight line with a jigsaw or even know which blade to use for plastic. My point is that it's guys like you and my neighbor that help guys like me complete tasks I would never dream up on my own. I guess this is a long and convoluted way of saying thanx for teaching guys like me to fish. If your daughter ever puts a virus on your based notebook, I will gladly install Linux on it for you. :-)
ArcherB is offline   Reply With Quote