Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 5, 2012   #1
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Default 2012 Septoria / Early Blight / Late Blight / High Flavor breeding thread

I'm starting this as a separate thread for the 2012 breeding work on Septoria, what will be grown, crosses to be tested, etc. I am starting the following for my breeding lines this year. Please note that some of these are grown for disease screening, some because I already know they are disease tolerant, and some because they have very high flavor potential. I have plenty of other lines going into my main garden including others that are now stable and need only to multiply seed.

LA1800, LA3126, LA4442, These three have known disease tolerance

Blueberry Sugar, RG Brandywine X F2, Oval Paste F2, P20 Heart, Plum Lucky These are flavor and early/late blight selections

LA2904, LA2915, LA2934, LA2974, LA2982, LA2983, LA3161, LA3859, LA4138, LA1994 (S. Pimpinellifolium, septoria screening)

LA0373, LA0443, LA0722, LA1269, LA1582, LA2093, LA2533, LA2833, LA2836, LA2851, LA2854, LA2866 (S. Pimpinellifolium, septoria screening)

LA0716, LA1926 (S. Pennelli, disease screening)

Last year I did a bulk growout of the TGRC S. Pimpinellifolium core collection and screened for disease resistance. If you compare last years results with this years seed planting, you will see that the most interesting of the varieties from last year are being repeated. When I went through the list and compared geographic origin with other accessions in TGRC, I found that the most disease tolerant tended to come from specific regions of northern Peru and a few from extreme southern Peru and northern Chile. I carefully screened the rest of the TGRC collection and picked several more lines from these regions for this year. In other words, if an area gave high levels of disease tolerance, I am growing more accessions from those areas in hopes to find more general disease tolerance genes.

DarJones
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote