Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 27, 2012   #1
In the Garden
Tomatovillian™

Default Trouble in Paradise

I have been growing tomatoes for years but since I moved to the subtropical zone 8 of SE Texas I have been struggling.

Last year I bought an Old Virginia heirloom from a locally run nursery to try it out. It did pretty well and I did not baby it so I decided to put Old Virginia to the test for real this year. I have started 14 from seed.

They germinated aggressively, all 14, and appeared to be super happy and strong. They now have their third set of leaves.

The second and third leaves are mottled with pale green, some of the leaves are slightly curled and some display a purple tint on the underside. Looks like a mineral deficiency. Not sure if the problem is nitrogen, calcium, or manganese... ?

Any thoughts?

I am going to test the ph today and make sure things are honky dory that way. I don't want to supplement the plants the wrong way and throw the whole project into a tail spin.

Do I need a fast acting "little bit of everything" supplement?

Over and Out,
In the Garden
In the Garden is offline   Reply With Quote