Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 29, 2011   #1
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Default Tried a very early start

I tried starting some seed in my greenhouse back around the first week in December to see if I could get a really early start on some varieties. I had near 100 % germination and they looked great and then we had 5 or 6 days of rainy and cloudy cool weather and damping off got nearly every one of them. The soil was kept very dry yet they still got it. I used all new cups and a brand new bag of starting mix. Only kind I could find this early was Miracle Grow. I really hate damping off.

I guess I'll start over again tomorrow. It will be with a new starter mix that I ordered online that is supposed to prevent damping off. I sure hope it works because I am beginning to think there is no way to avoid the stuff short of treating the starter mix with a bleach solution. I have done that and it will work but it can be rough on very small seedlings. I'm beginning to think it is in our water supply. Maybe I should use distilled water only until the plants get large enough to pot up; but that will be a lot of trouble and costly.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote