Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 13, 2011   #1
jamiegrows
Tomatovillian™

Default J&L Gardens

I was looking for the tomato seed Kazachka and I found it being sold by j&l gardens. My problem is they list this as the description for Lee's sweet on their Bonanza.com store:

"Lee's Sweet is a boat-shaped to heart-shaped pink tomato out of Brandywind (Suddeths) with dense, solid flesh and a spicy flavor which outdoes its parent. The 12 oz iridescent pink fruit is striped with faint green and is borne on a stout potato-leafed plant. In our trials, it has been remarkably productive and healthy. Most importantly, people ask for it by name, so we know we have a winner. Try it in your garden this summer. Six foot plant, 70-75 days to maturity from transplant. 30 seeds per packet sent 1st class mail in a padded envelope with instructions for starting!"

And this for the description of Lee's sweet here at TV:

Question by Barbee:
"Great photos and everything is easy to find. Lee's Sweet look delicious. Can you describe it?"

Answer by Goodwin:
"hi - Lee's is actually not an heirloom tomato. I crossed Pittsburg Potato Top and Chianti Rose and the second year I got one plant with heart-shaped fruit rather than beefsteak. This year I set out three which bred true and production was good. I was pulling 6-8 a week off each plant during most of the season until the freeze shut them down. It is a big plant and midseason, about 75-78 days. Thanks for the nice review!"

So now I am skeptical of their products. Does anyone have any info or experience dealing with them?

Last edited by jamiegrows; May 15, 2011 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Corrected website from Bonanzle to Bonanza.com
jamiegrows is offline   Reply With Quote