Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 15, 2011   #1
JackE
Tomatovillian™

Default Herbicide Application w/ Backpack

Deleted - decided subject matter was inappropriate for this forum. Mr Moderator, please delete topic

I GUESS IT'S OKAY AFTER ALL - SO I"LL REPOST IT

When the label only gives only per/acre mixing info - in this case, 2oz/acre in minimum of 10 gal water (Aim herbicide - Carfentrazone for pigweed), how do we mix it for spot treatment using a backpack? We have directed nozzles on our boom - high volume, low pressure - and can safely run the row middles without shields. We will probably use 30 gals of water instead of 10.

But I will also need to spot treat juvenile pigweeds closer to the plants. I could shut the valve to the boom and open the one to the hose and use a shielded hand wand for closer application, but it's such a hassle dragging a hose around without tearing-up the crop. I would much rather mix 2 gals in the backpack. Can I just pump 2 gals of the main tank mix into the backpack and use it it at that strength? Or should I mix it weaker?

What worries me is applying it too strong and damaging the tomato plants - I've never found a check valve that works well with a hand wand, and it always puts much more chemical on the weed that I need or want. Some labels have separate instructions for hand application, but Aim does not - or I haven't found it in all the fine print that these labels always have.

Thanks,

Jack

Last edited by JackE; February 15, 2011 at 06:45 AM.
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote