Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 16, 2010   #1
puzzley
Tomatovillian™

Default Wrong seed again!

For the second year in a row, I have a problem with seed not being what I ordered. last year, a packet of green zebra did not produce a single GZ, but rather an assortment of tomatoes I didn't order. This year, I ordered most of my seed from different sources, but decided to give this same vendor another chance. They carried Goldman's Italian American, which I was keen to try, so I ordered that, and another variety. Last week, I was pleased to notice a nice green tomato about the size if a child's fist that was hippy and puckered, as a Goldman's should be. This week, I realized I hadn't seen any others, so began to check the labels. Sure enough, another tomato labeled Goldman's is producing a round, smooth tomato. So, that's it for me with this company, who shall remain nameless. I know errors happen, and I've lived long enough to know I could make a mistake, but I am meticulous in my planting, and label each seed cell as I plant a packet, and don't open another packet until the first is finished. The label follows the plant all the way to the garden.

I did let them know, and they've offered to replace the seed or give me my money back, but I don't care about that. No way I'm going to have all the Goldman's I wanted this year.

So, the reason for this thread is not just to complain, but note that this seems to be a common problem. I see threads here and on other forums all the time complaining about wrong seed. How does this happen so frequently? I know some of you are seed vendors, and I was wondering what quality control you use to prevent this, and why it seems so common?
puzzley is offline   Reply With Quote