Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 28, 2009   #13
camochef
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkeater View Post
"if you cut each "strain" at the equater and simply compare, you'll see that they aren't alike at all. I've had many that say Cowlick's also have much smaller seeds than say Glick's or Sudduths"

Camo,

If they are that much different, then maybe Cowlick's somewhere back crossed with another variety and has now stabilized into the tomato you like so much. It does sound like a good one.
Barkeater,
Anything is possible, I've been growing them for three or four years now and they were so much greater from day one. I had gone back to the nursury from where I had purchased it initially and the owner had no idea of strain or variety, just that he had purchased seed from a pa. company and grew out about three flats. The dozen or so plants that he had when I bought mine were all the same size ( about 2 1/2 ft tall) and really nice!
I had them between two 5 ft. high fences that first year and tried to train them to the fences. They consumed the entire corner, and probably were 10-12 ft. high if staked up. They remained lush and productive right up to 31 Oct of that year, when I finally pulled the plant as we were getting a freeze that evening,, and I wanted to till the garden. (it was the last plant out there!) It was still full of nice sized greenies too. I had picked the first three ripe tomatoes off it on June 29th and the heaviest of the three was 1 3/8 lbs. Had three more ripe on July 1st and it continueed steadily from there. It's been one super plant! I'm not sure if its offspring has been as impressive as the weather hasn't been as good as that year.
This season they gave me first ripe ones on July 1st but then dropped off in production until August when it got a little warmer. July was very cold and wet here this year. Still it produces more tomatoes than anything else in the gardens. If I could only grow one tomato, it would be between Cowlick Brandywine and Sandul Moldovan! Great taste and great production on both! I don't care what you call them they are fantastic tomatoes. I think DS said she sent you some seed in an e-mail I got earlier today. Enjoy!
Camo
camochef is offline   Reply With Quote