Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 6, 2017   #1
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Default It's Been Snowing Since First Light

We weren't supposed to get this much. All the weather people both locally and nationally said "A Dusting". I hate this as the DW is about to go in for surgery on her left knee and it's 30 miles to the hospital - thus, travel concerns. Normally, I would just stay in and wait it out.

But, it's pretty and cozy in here with the fireplace and some good stew and also a pot of mild chili.

Here's the look outside at the Muddy Bucket Farm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0079.JPG (269.8 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0076.JPG (270.2 KB, 155 views)
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2017   #2
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

That looks cold. Be careful on that trip to and from the hospital.

So far, it's just cold here. There's snow falling all along the Red River between DFW and OKC.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2017   #3
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

it's dry on the backside, got about 1" this morning of fine powder. side roads can be slick, but main roads aren't a problem.

my windshield washer fluid is frozen, which sucks, b/c the mere hint of winter precip. here they go and throw a bunch of trash on the road (sand, dirt, etc..) that affects visibility when it gets on my windshield.

take care.

Last edited by My Foot Smells; January 6, 2017 at 12:41 PM.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2017   #4
Chapinz8
Tomatovillian™

Very nice pics which capture the true "feel". Ours is on the way and they say less than an inch. One time before they said that and we got 7 with a little sleet on top.
Chapinz8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2017   #5
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

it is unfortunate you have to travel when the weather is bad. where i am at, you quickly get used to it by necessity. even then, a recent blizzard here left many people in the ditch due to slippery roads, and zero visibility at times.
drive slower, keep a safe distance behind the vehicle in front of you, and watch out for idiots who don't know how to drive in snow.

it's been snowing here pretty much since tuesday with brief breaks. snow accumulation has been 4 to 8 inches each day.
the road crew will have to start knocking back the banks pretty soon. when they build up, visibility is blocked at intersections, and you have to edge out very carefully, and do some neck craning before pulling out into the road.

i can still see grass at your place ted.
yoopers would call that a dusting.
our wood stove is cranking, and keeping inside cozy.
outside,,,,,,different story.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2017   #6
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Unfortunate your wife's surgery is today, be safe and slow!

And like Keith said, to us in the north that is a dusting!
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2017   #7
oakley
Tomatovillian™

It is pretty. Barely a dusting here unlike the rest of the country.

Be safe driving. Keep a blanket in your car. I have a small 'winter' kit in mine.

....and then the mess in Ft Lauderdale, the airport shootings.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2017   #8
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Lovely pic! Stay safe, Ted - and best wishes on successful surgery and safe travels.

We are due for a big snow in Raleigh - 6-9 inches or so - got the bird feeders full, found the snow shovel and boots, made a big slow cooker Posole for tonight....

We may not be leaving home until mid week - temps near zero for a few nights after the precip.

And of course all I am doing every day is thinking gardening and doing various tasks (working with Patrina the last week or so on getting all of our Dwarf releases OSSI pledged....worth it, but a LOT of work!).
Old January 6, 2017   #9
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

We lived in Washington State for 4 years and Portsmouth, NH for another 3. Saw lots of Temps in the "minus 20's" and a couple below that. Learned to drive in SW Virginia around the Bristol area. I can only agree that you folks up north think it's a dusting. But the idiots that have lived here all their lives still don't know how to drive on it. I did the entirety of the 4 years in Moses Lake and Spokane, WA with only a set of "snow tires". Got stuck once and that was on level ground. Wheel slipped into somebody's hole they dug with their chains. Got out with a couple pieces of brush from a nearby field.

Yes, it's cold here. At least it is for this area. Currently it's 23 F and will be falling off tonight to the mid to low teens. This is panic time for the natives. This is why (when we can) we stay in and don't get amongst them while they are enjoying their "insane" times. One incentive to stay out of the fray is that about half of the other drivers are not insured. My State Farm agent told me that and showed some numbers to back up his statement.

Oh, well, the snow has paused for a while. We're gonna have a steak and baked tater tonight. Seems like a good time to just hunker down and cuddle up. The wife's surgery was moved to Tuesday, so we can be safe a few more days. I love the laid-back atmosphere of this place where I live. But the tradeoff is that we have to travel to medical and entertainment other than TV and rented movies.

Thanks for all the best wishes about the DW and her bad knee. She says "Thank you and it is certainly appreciated."

You folks take care and stay warm.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2017   #10
bad.kelpie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
We lived in Washington State for 4 years and Portsmouth, NH for another 3. Saw lots of Temps in the "minus 20's" and a couple below that. Learned to drive in SW Virginia around the Bristol area. I can only agree that you folks up north think it's a dusting. But the idiots that have lived here all their lives still don't know how to drive on it. I did the entirety of the 4 years in Moses Lake and Spokane, WA with only a set of "snow tires". Got stuck once and that was on level ground. Wheel slipped into somebody's hole they dug with their chains. Got out with a couple pieces of brush from a nearby field.

Yes, it's cold here. At least it is for this area. Currently it's 23 F and will be falling off tonight to the mid to low teens. This is panic time for the natives. This is why (when we can) we stay in and don't get amongst them while they are enjoying their "insane" times. One incentive to stay out of the fray is that about half of the other drivers are not insured. My State Farm agent told me that and showed some numbers to back up his statement.

Oh, well, the snow has paused for a while. We're gonna have a steak and baked tater tonight. Seems like a good time to just hunker down and cuddle up. The wife's surgery was moved to Tuesday, so we can be safe a few more days. I love the laid-back atmosphere of this place where I live. But the tradeoff is that we have to travel to medical and entertainment other than TV and rented movies.

Thanks for all the best wishes about the DW and her bad knee. She says "Thank you and it is certainly appreciated."

Small world, I'm in Ephrata (20 miles from Moses Lake). We're having one of the "winteriest" winters we've had in a long time. Very very cold and snowy. Sometimes we have just wet and rainy winters, I like those.
bad.kelpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2017   #11
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad.kelpie View Post
Small world, I'm in Ephrata (20 miles from Moses Lake). We're having one of the "winteriest" winters we've had in a long time. Very very cold and snowy. Sometimes we have just wet and rainy winters, I like those.
Been through Moses Lake years ago- got a speeding ticket there. Think I stayed over night there and the restaurant/bar had an unusual beer called "Hnry's"? I have never liked beer, due to the bitter after taste, but they sent over a small glas with my meal and were real nice so I tried it. Liked it! No bad taste, no bittery face after I sipped it, very mild. I drank a whole bottle of beer for the first time in my life there!

Nice people, but it sure was windy and cold.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2017   #12
Rockandrollin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
We lived in Washington State for 4 years and Portsmouth, NH for another 3. Saw lots of Temps in the "minus 20's" and a couple below that. Learned to drive in SW Virginia around the Bristol area. I can only agree that you folks up north think it's a dusting. But the idiots that have lived here all their lives still don't know how to drive on it. I did the entirety of the 4 years in Moses Lake and Spokane, WA with only a set of "snow tires".

Ted, your Washington experience was in the neck of the woods that I grew up (Okanogan). I think it was in 1978 that we went skiing at Mt Spokane and it was -22F. I don't recall any wind other than when you ski downhill you create your own wind chill. Alot of people stayed in the lodge to stay warm. I was one of the few on the slopes. Most likely I had my Insulated coveralls on, but even so, it was still cold. It was a bit of a journey getting there, plus the cost of the ski ticket, so dad gumit, I was gonna ski!
Rockandrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2017   #13
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Hi Ted, its been pretty cold here this week, so we should be sending you another cold front. We are not enjoying it, so it is time to pass it on. LOL
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2017   #14
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Glad to hear the surgery has been put off. Hope all goes well for her.

Rain been pouring here all day. Temps are already starting to drop and where I am at it will be sheets of ice by morning. Went to store yesterday and this morning for more cans of soup. Not planning on being on roads for next 4 or 5 days. No offense to any Southern folks, but a small dusting and folks don't know how to drive and when the black ice out, they really ring up the accidents.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2017   #15
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

snow.png
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote