Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old January 13, 2016   #1
whoose
Tomatovillian™

Default Yellow Scotch Bonnet

Anyone grow Yellow Scotch Bonnet from Sandia seeds? Hot enough??
whoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2016   #2
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

Scoville scale‎: ‎100,000–350,000 SHU‎
Heat‎: ‎Exceptionally hot‎
Species‎: ‎Capsicum chinense‎
Cultivar‎: ‎'Scotch Bonnet'‎
guruofgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2016   #3
drew51
Tomatovillian™

I have had variations that have no heat at all, the MOA version is the one to get!
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2016   #4
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

One of my favorite sauces is made from Scotch Bonnets:
http://www.mohotta.com/product/5992/...FYU9aQod1ywBxw
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2016   #5
Zana
Tomatovillian™

the heat in Scotch Bonnet peppers can vary on many things. I've grown multiple plants and had different levels from plants side by side.

Now I grew up on them...scarfing down pickled scotch bonnets like candy while visiting relatives in Jamaica. LOL So my tolerance is probably higher than most. But they are definitely hotter than many peppers for most people.

Have not grown them from Sandia seeds....sorry can't offer an opinion.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
There is a fine line between genius and crazy.
I like to use that line as a jump rope.

~Anonymous (but I totally agree with this! LOL)

Forgive and Forget? I'm neither Jesus or nor do I have Alzheimers.

~ Anonymous

Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace.

-- Dr. Albert Schweitzer
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2016   #6
MendozaMark
Tomatovillian™

Just curious if anyone else finds scotch bonnets a lot less fussy then habaneros ? I can almost hear Reggae when I pass by my yellow scotch bonnet its so happy. No such luck with my habs. I had a hab mix which had bout 5 different types.
MendozaMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2016   #7
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MendozaMark View Post
Just curious if anyone else finds scotch bonnets a lot less fussy then habaneros ? I can almost hear Reggae when I pass by my yellow scotch bonnet its so happy. No such luck with my habs. I had a hab mix which had bout 5 different types.
I prefer Scotch Bonnets to Habs, but then I've been scarfing them down for more than 50 years. LOL Easier to grow too...and better flavour...not just heat.

~ Anonymous

Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace.

-- Dr. Albert Schweitzer
Old January 24, 2016   #8
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zana View Post
I prefer Scotch Bonnets to Habs, but then I've been scarfing them down for more than 50 years. LOL Easier to grow too...and better flavour...not just heat.
I agree although some habs are fun to grow too like the tree habs.
Old January 19, 2016   #9
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

Not sure about Habaneros, but Scotch Bonnets do well for me up here in New England with absolutely no extra effort aside from watering and feeding.

Twice I've received seeds in swaps labeled Habanero and planted them, but in looking at pictures comparing the two on line they appear to actually be Scotch Bonnets -- one red and last year a very pale orange/peach. Both did very well, but I'm sticking with just the reds going forward as they were more consistently hot. The peach ones had thinner, almost translucent walls and heat levels were very inconsistent.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2016   #10
MendozaMark
Tomatovillian™

On a related note, what would be your favourite Scotch bonnet or close relative type ? I love making hot sauces. I am very excited about trying out all the Jamaican and/or Caribbean style/inspired sauces.
Old January 24, 2016   #11
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
On a related note, what would be your favourite Scotch bonnet or close relative type ? I love making hot sauces. I am very excited about trying out all the Jamaican and/or Caribbean style/inspired sauces.
I admit I have not tried that many, so far MOA Scotch Bonnet is the best one. Also trying to make authentic tasting jerk sauce is difficult. Most recipes are incorrect. I have tasted the real deal hundreds of times. I myself have yet to master getting it exactly right. I'm pretty close though! I once posted my recipe on this site, I don't have the link handy.
The way to tell without going to Jamaica s to buy some (some are terrible!) of the the jerk pastes made in Jamaica. They are pretty good. Also one marinade I like a lot. After you get the sauce down you're far from done. Cooking correctly with it is another whole skill set. I have been to Jamaica 4 times.
Old January 24, 2016   #12
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Drew51,

I agree many jerk seasoning mixes or pastes or sauces sold commercially are abysmal at best and total rubbish at worst. Having tried jerk all over Jamaica since the 1960's, my all time favourite place to get it is at a place alongside Boston beach in the north east of the island. Best Jerk Pork EVER!!!!

One thing that distinguishes good hot sauces in the islands is that they're not just about heat....although, God knows they could strip paint in some cases. Some of the best mix fruit with the hot peppers, along with blackstrap molasses, spices, and other veggies. One of my favourites is one made with mango and hot peppers. Love it. Another from Barbados is a "Carrot Sauce" that is seriously good....on almost anything that you'd add hot peppers to.

I learned to love the hot stuff because we'd take jars of pickled scotch bonnets as snacks with us to the beach when I was a kid. Coolers weren't as efficient at keeping stuff cold and prevent spoiling as they are now, so you took stuff that wouldn't spoil in the heat...and pickled peppers worked. It doesn't mean that there are peppers that can't make me sweat or cry, but I'm not crying due to pain...especially as the peppers progress through the digestive tract. LOL (We used to say that the sign of a rookie was hearing cries of pain coming from the restroom! LMAO - and yeah....we were then and still are warped in our sense of humour....and if you add overproof rum to our blend of humour and it can be highly entertaining, as well scary for those not used to it. )

~ Anonymous

-- Dr. Albert Schweitzer
Old January 24, 2016   #13
MendozaMark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zana View Post
Drew51,

One thing that distinguishes good hot sauces in the islands is that they're not just about heat....although, God knows they could strip paint in some cases. Some of the best mix fruit with the hot peppers, along with blackstrap molasses, spices, and other veggies. One of my favourites is one made with mango and hot peppers. Love it. Another from Barbados is a "Carrot Sauce" that is seriously good....on almost anything that you'd add hot peppers to.
You don't have a recipe or know a site that has Barbados carrot sauce. I often have a hard time finding all the ingredients here so I usually have to an inspired version. I do enjoy the fruitier versions of hot sauce though and love how the flavours meld when you get it right, inspired or authentic.
Old January 24, 2016   #14
Zana
Tomatovillian™

I get my Bajan Carrot sauce "delivered" when fellow Kiwanians come up for conventions. LOL I've been known to trade them seeds or my sauces....or Canadian Whiskey for Bajan rum or hot sauce.

But will do some looking and get back to you, if I find anything.

~ Anonymous

-- Dr. Albert Schweitzer
Old January 24, 2016   #15
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Try this recipe, Drew. Got it from the comments on someone else looking for the carrot or hot pepper sauces from Barbados.

12 large Scotch Bonnet peppers, seeds and stems removed, diced

1 large onion, diced

2 small cloves garlic, diced

¼ cup mustard

¼ cup white vinegar

2 tbsp vegetable oil

¾ cup diced carrots, separately parboiled for five minutes

¾ cup water

1 tsp ground black pepper

1 tsp curry powder

1 tsp turmeric

Salt and pepper to taste

If you have disposable gloves, wear them when handing the peppers - touching your eye or nose after cutting up Scotch Bonnets is an experience you'll never forget (at least I haven't).

Put all ingredients into a pot, bring to boil, turn down and simmer for 20 minutes. If too thick add a bit of water. Put into sterilized jars or bottles, will keep easily six months in the fridge. You can also add green papaya or green mango. For grilled fish, I mix one part each of hot sauce, mayo and mango preserves (if on hand, otherwise British style orange marmalade) - takes one minute and kicks the fish up several notches.

~ Anonymous

-- Dr. Albert Schweitzer