Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 14, 2007   #1
cecilsgarden1958
Tomatovillian™

Default WOW! That's great service

I never got my Tomatofest order, so I emailed Gary Ibsen. He replaced the whole order, sent it priority mail and included extra seeds. I got it already. Must have been 2 days max. Great service there.

He sent me Ildi as my free pack, plus included Dagma's Perfection and Gary Ibsen's Gold for no reason at all. Kool!

I thought it ironic that I ordered all red/pink and I got all yellows for free. LOL!

Still hoping for some info on Dagma's Pefection, as to rather it's a good producer/taster etc. Sounds similar to Golden Queen from a Private Messege I got, with a blush on the bottom end. I thought it was to be a striped.

CECIL-who hopes for some good/bad info. PM me if you have to.
Old January 14, 2007   #2
travis
Tomatovillian™

Default Re: WOW! That's great service

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecilsgarden
He sent me Ildi as my free pack, plus included Dagma's Perfection and Gary Ibsen's Gold for no reason at all. Kool!
Did you happen to see the story of how he named "Gary Ibsen's Gold" kinda like he's renamed so many others?

PV
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2007   #3
cecilsgarden1958
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Vic
Quote:
Did you happen to see the story of how he named "Gary Ibsen's Gold" kinda like he's renamed so many others?

PV
You me this?

Gary says, "In 2006 while eating some of this fruit just off the vine, I found myself so pleased with the flavor that I said to my wife, "Now this (slurp) is my kind of gold!"
"She suggested I call it Gary Ibsen's Gold, harvest more seeds, and share it with our friends".

Does that imply a renaming or the naming of an unknown variety?

CECIL
Old January 14, 2007   #4
travis
Tomatovillian™

Yes, Cecil, that's what I mean. And more particularly in light of the more extensive seed blurb you can view at Laurel's, to wit:

Gary Ibsen's Gold: Seeds for this tall, leafy variety were sent to Gary in 1990 from a gardener in Boone County, West Virginia who had been growing these for 40 years. He was given the seeds by his uncle who had grown them in Tennessee.

Gary says, "In 2006 while eating some of this fruit just off the vine, I found myself so pleased with the flavor that I said to my wife, "Now this (slurp) is my kind of gold!"

"She suggested I call it Gary Ibsen's Gold, harvest more seeds, and share it with our friends. This big plant produces lots of very juicy, 14 oz., brilliant orange-gold globes with tropical fruit flavors with enough acid balance to guarantee a burst of tomato delight."

There are several other examples of Mr. Ibsen's renaming fervor. Dagma's Perfection comes immediately to mind.

PV
Old January 14, 2007   #5
cecilsgarden1958
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Yes, Cecil, that's what I mean. And more particularly in light of the more extensive seed blurb you can view at Laurel's, to wit:

Gary Ibsen's Gold: Seeds for this tall, leafy variety were sent to Gary in 1990 from a gardener in Boone County, West Virginia who had been growing these for 40 years. He was given the seeds by his uncle who had grown them in Tennessee.

"She suggested I call it Gary Ibsen's Gold, harvest more seeds, and share it with our friends. This big plant produces lots of very juicy, 14 oz., brilliant orange-gold globes with tropical fruit flavors with enough acid balance to guarantee a burst of tomato delight."

There are several other examples of Mr. Ibsen's renaming fervor. Dagma's Perfection comes immediately to mind.

PV
PV: Would you know what Gary Ibsen's Gold or Dagma's Perfection were originally???

CECIL-who still has free seed, whatever they are
Old January 14, 2007   #6
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

In all fairness, (s'cuse me while I play debbils advocate) he might not have been able to get back in touch with his original source to ask what he was calling it (if anything), what he wanted to call it, or even if the orignal name was known. Which would be the right thing to do.

In any case, the chosen name is a little *ahem* much, if you know what I mean (and I bet you do ). JMO.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2007   #7
travis
Tomatovillian™

Well, really, I shouldn't have dragged Laurel into this ... but I had her blurb stored in my favorites ... since then I retreived Gary's own explanation from TomatoFest:

"Seeds for this tall, leafy variety were sent to me in 1990 from a gardener in Boone County, WV who shared that he had been growing these, and a favorite red variety for 40 years. He was given the seeds from his Uncle who had grown them in Tennessee. For the past several years I included them in my seed trials under the name 'No Name #4,' and harvested the seeds each year from a few preferred fruits. In 2006 while eating some of this fruit just off the vine, I found myself so pleased with the flavor that I said to my wife, 'Now this (slurp) is my kind of gold!' She suggested I call it 'Gary Ibsen's Gold,' harvest more seeds, and share it with our friends. Plant produces lots of very juicy, 14 oz. , brilliant orange-gold globes with tropical fruit flavors with enough acid balance to guarantee a burst of tomato delight."

So, maybe "Boone County" or "Volunteer State" or "Slurp" or something associated with the names that he could've recorded from the letter originally sent with the seeds. But, like Adam, he seems inclined first chance he gets to blame it on the woman.

PV
Old January 14, 2007   #8
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

Reading Gary's variety descriptions is akin to having a colonoscopy done...without your consent.

:wink:

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2007   #9
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

M-Its not the colonoscopy, its the stuff you have to drink the evening before that is the hard part!
Old January 15, 2007   #10
Soilsniffer
Tomatovillian™

Pardon my skepticism, pessimism, what have you. The topic is WOW! That's great service, and the first sentence begins with "I never got my Tomatofest order". That is the *opposite* of great service.

Quote:
He sent me Ildi as my free pack, plus included Dagma's Perfection and Gary Ibsen's Gold for no reason at all.
For no reason at all? The reason is because he lost your original order!

Why is Mr. Tomatofest getting a flyer (indeed, a ringing endorsement) for screwing up?

J
Old January 15, 2007   #11
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

J
Good service doesn’t always mean everything is perfect every time.
Good service means a person does everything in their power to make things right if things get messed up, ‘as this person did.

I won’t get into the tomato name thing as this is not the point I’m trying to make.
I’ll leave that to the experts on tomato origins, ‘I’m not one.

If I put a tree in your yard and it died and I replaced it for free plus I put another tree in the yard as an added bonus would you call that bad service?
I would hope not!!

You can’t have a business where every thing goes as planed all of the time and it may not even been this persons fault the seeds were lost.
But they did make it right and in 2 days plus extra seeds.
I would call that GREAT service regardless of the first order being lost.
And I would assume they didn’t even question Cecil’s honesty on the matter, which I know there would be no reason to.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2007   #12
toro_miura
Tomatovillian™

Talking about good service, I ordered a month ago from Pinetree (about 40$). Between me and them, we messed up with emails and they ended charging me two orders and sending them to me (I'm in Spain). When I emailed them telling what had hapenned, they credited back my account with the cost of one of the orders and told me to keep the seeds! Incredible customer service.
toro_miura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2007   #13
cecilsgarden1958
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1
J
Good service doesn’t always mean everything is perfect every time.
Good service means a person does everything in their power to make things right if things get messed up, ‘as this person did.

I won’t get into the tomato name thing as this is not the point I’m trying to make.
I’ll leave that to the experts on tomato origins, ‘I’m not one.

If I put a tree in your yard and it died and I replaced it for free plus I put another tree in the yard as an added bonus would you call that bad service?
I would hope not!!

You can’t have a business where every thing goes as planed all of the time and it may not even been this persons fault the seeds were lost.
But they did make it right and in 2 days plus extra seeds.
I would call that GREAT service regardless of the first order being lost.
And I would assume they didn’t even question Cecil’s honesty on the matter, which I know there would be no reason to.

Worth
Thanks Worth! My point exactly.

CECIL
Old January 16, 2007   #14
flowerpower
Tomatovillian™

I think that getting a replacement order within 2 days is good customer service. Sending the extra packs were a nice touch. He sent you the yellow because you ordered only red/pink. He is trying to get you interested in new types that he hopes to sell you next yr.
flowerpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2007   #15
Soilsniffer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1
Worth
Invalid comparison. What your example SHOULD be:

Customer orders a tree. Waits, waits, never arrives.
Customer calls to complain.
Seller apologizes, and sends two trees.
Customer: "Wow, that's great service!"

No, that's still lousy service. Customer, however, is happy because he came out ahead on the deal, for he now has two trees, vice one.

I think some are confusing good service, with sending extra stuff because the order was lost.

Lost order = lousy service.
Lousy service? Make amends by sending some extra seed packets. Customer is happy! Customer comes out ahead. Customer wouldn't even mind if seller screws up customers *next* order, yay, more free seeds! Wow, that's great service again!

J