Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old August 8, 2006   #1
Full Moon
Tomatovillian™

Default Which one of these in pots?

I need help in deciding what to grow where. I have read some contradicting info re size of some of the tomatoes I have on my list and I'm getting confused.

I know that there are allot of factors that will affect plant size but I need to make a decision and would rather go with some of your experience than my own which is none!

Out of these can you tell me which ones you would grow in pots and what sorta size to expect from them.
I have 8 pots left to decide:

1- Black Cherry
2- Green Grape
3- Blondkopfchen
4- Camp Joy
5- Black Prince
6- Green Zebra
7- Jaune Flammée
8- Cherokee Green
9- Fritsche
10-Anna Russian
11-Prue
12- Cuostralee
13-Regina's Yellow
14-Persimmon

Initially I was thinking of putting the cherries in pots can I do that?
Full Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2006   #2
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I know there are differences in nomenclature in Australia, but are these pots at least 5 gallon (20 litres) of potting mix (not anything that contains real soil)?

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2006   #3
spudleafwillie
Tomatovillian™

Default Which one of these in pots?

Full Moon,
I grow all my potato leaf varieties, determinates, indeterminates and cherries, in mostly 5 gal. or larger pots. Usually 2 plants/pot. My growing conditions here in southwest New Mexico in a hot dry desert climate are very tough but you can successfully grow maters in this harsh environment, I have done it for over 20 years this way.

You can use larger pots if you wish and increase the number of plants accordingly.
You must be sure to have a rich, well-drained soil with lots of organic matter, water daily, and fertilize every 2-3 weeks with 1/2 strength fertilizer (1gal manure tea/ bucket). You must be vigilant with the watering routine and not let the plants dry out and wilt as that stresses them too much

I use 8 foot long bamboo poles as support stakes and tie up the plants with jute twine. Hope this info helps,

Best regards.
Spudleaf Willie
spudleafwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8, 2006   #4
Full Moon
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Feldon, forgot to mention they are about 30 litres of potting mix
Old August 9, 2006   #5
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Yes, you can put the cherries in containers. Actually, that would be a good idea as cherries rarely tend to get blossom end rot, which can sometimes be a a bit more of a problem in containers.

So, perhaps #1-4, and the Jaune F., for 5 of 8 of your slots. Also, Black Prince tends to be a bit compact, so does GZ.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2006   #6
pooklette
Tomatovillian™

Green Zebra is the only variety on your list that I've grown but I do second Suze's nomination for that one in a container.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Moon
Thanks Feldon, forgot to mention they are about 30 litres of potting mix
I have a Green Zebra growing in a pot this size right now and it is happy as can be.
pooklette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2006   #7
Full Moon
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for your help

I'll go with 1 to 7 and pick another one or maybe double up on something. I'm not brave enough to put two plants per pot though. I'll go with one per pot for this year.

The pots will be on a drip system for sure. I just can't wait. I'm at the "check the seedlings every two hours" stage.

Cheers
Old August 15, 2006   #8
honu
Tomatovillian™

Full Moon,
30 litres is almost 8 gallons. Black Cherry gets huge, and may topple or have problems drying out in that size container. I made that mistake w/ Green Grape. Black Cherry is on the left in a 15 gal container:
honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2006   #9
Full Moon
Tomatovillian™

Honu,
I didn't understand what you meant about your Green Grape mistake and then saw the pic you posted in another thread. Didn't know there was two 'versions' of Green Grape. I have no idea which one I got.

I measured my pots :16" diam. X 16" high is that too small?
Old August 17, 2006   #10
honu
Tomatovillian™

Full Moon, Your 16" pot would be about 12 gal, which is much better than my 7 gal. Once my Green Grape got big, it not only kept toppling because it was top heavy, but it would wilt every day because the small 7 gal pot couldn't hold enough water. Only after I found that yellow bucket to put under the pot, and filled it all the way to the top every morning and let the pot soak in about 2 gal of water, could the plant make it through the day without severe wilting. My plants in 15 gallon pots never had such problems.

Calculations for your 16" pot:

Litres/cu in 0.01639
US Gallon/litre 0.2642
Pot diameter (in) 16
Soil depth assuming 2 in clearance fr top (in) 14
Pot volume (cu in) 2814.867018
Pot volume (US gal) 12.18904412
honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2006   #11
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Pots

Full Moon,
You can grow just about any tomato in a 30ltr pot, that is, one big bag of best potting mix with some homemade compost, mushroom compost, whatever. And do top the pot with a pile of mulch. That is most important.

However, you will get a greatly reduced crop and smaller tomatoes when you grow non-cherry types in pots. There is some excellent advice here. I grow a couple of cherries in pots with very good success. I like to grow earlies and determinates in pots.

As for the non-cherries on your list, #6, #7 and #10 are the best ones for pots. Wispy hearts seem to do OK. Big beefsteak struggle. Mulch mulch mulch. And consider placing the pots over rich soil, if you can, and enlarge the drain holes so the roots can tap into the soil below.

Mantis uses bottomless pots in his geeenhouse and these have worked well for me around the outskirts of my beds. My best tomato ever in a pot is Kimberly. Then Sophie's Choice and Russian Red. Then New Big Dwarf.

All the best,
Grub
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2006   #12
Full Moon
Tomatovillian™

Thanks all for your advice I really appreciate it. Last year was my first year growing tomatoes and it was a disaster. Lost everything but a couple of hybrids.
I've been though both the Southern crop and the Northern crop looking at your beautiful pics in anticipation of eating MY first real tomato. Let me tell you it has tested my patience.

The pots are only so I can grow more not that anyone in here can relate to that

I have two bins of homemade compost, the drip system, the mulch, the sheep manure, the seaweed, the new raised bed, the seedlings .......
I'm ready, we're getting close!
Old August 18, 2006   #13
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

Bottomless pots are really worth a try. No matter where you put the plant, having its topmost roots in good potting mix, and letting the water seeking roots grow down into wherever works for me. Also, the pots heat up early in the spring to kick start things as well. I love my bottomless pots.
Its 9 something in the evening here and I am a bit liquored watching the Collingwood v Port match on Friday night footy. So, anything I say can be disregarded as total bull★★★★ at any time
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2006   #14
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Lol

Quote:
Its 9 something in the evening here and I am a bit liquored watching the Collingwood v Port match on Friday night footy. So, anything I say can be disregarded as total spicy meatball at any time.
LOL. Those meatballs pack a punch. Habve a good one. I love Friday nights.
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2006   #15
MawkHawk
Tomatovillian™

Moon, from your list I've only grown Green Zebra in pots and those grew very well for me. My best potted variety.