Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 22, 2012   #1
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Default Yellowing leaves, and some flat white bugs

Anybody know what's going on? Ever since I started pruning the base of one of my mators this has started to happen to some lower foliage. I make sure to sterilize my clippers between clips. It was my healthiest at one point and now I'm worried.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337715285.377019.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337715313.833280.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337715359.160592.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337715389.629682.jpg

Please help, thanks.
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012   #2
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

i, um, neeeed, oh crap
Old May 22, 2012   #3
Lorri D
Tomatovillian™

Maybe it is a scale insect. horticultural oil should get rid of it if it is.
Lorri D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012   #4
babice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crandrew View Post
i, um, neeeed, oh crap
LOL! Crandrew. It's all right. Calm down and don't take offense to few posts so far. I think many, many folks are out in their gardens right now; trying to get a beat on the summer and such. Mehbe you post some more pics like DogsandDirt suggests?

So, I'm of course curious about a few things. How long have these toms been outside? What made you decide to prune them? How often (and how) are you watering them? I know you were thinking about doing Daconil one day and feeding the next. Are you doing that? What kind of humidity and temps have you had?

Last edited by babice; May 23, 2012 at 10:28 AM.
babice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012   #5
DogsandDirt
Tomatovillian™

I think Mlm1 may be right about the psyllids. After I looked closer they don't look fuzzy like mealy bugs. From what I looked up about psyllids, the yellowing starts on the top of the plant since that's where they like to land/hatch and do their dirty work. From what your pictures show the yellowing is starting at the bottom?

Here's some pictures from Gardenweb that may help:
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/...320134412.html

I know how frustrating this is. I can spend hours on the web looking at website after website and nothing completely matches the problem I'm having.

To answer your signature, the reason you have more than one tomato plant is because **** happens! Hang in there.
DogsandDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012   #6
babice
Tomatovillian™

If DogsAndDirt and Mlm1 are correct, I just read that Neem Oil will work against psyllids. See this link: http://www.saferbrand.com/advice/ins...ontrol-options I do, however, find it a quandry that the yellowing/curling started from the bottom though. I agree with Worth1. I know I'm a newbie with toms but my hunch (for the 1/2 cent that it's worth) is that it's just a new plant outside and you pruned it and, it's sorta cringing. I think that's why D.A.D. wants to see pics of your leaves that aren't curling (to kinda assess the health of the whole plant).
babice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012   #7
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

What about the yellowing? Seriously only Lori has a comment? sad panda.
Old May 22, 2012   #8
DogsandDirt
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crandrew View Post
What about the yellowing? Seriously only Lori has a comment? sad panda.
Can you take a few more pictures with the leaves uncurled? My first thought is Septoria but a few more shots of the leaves and lesions would be helpful.

The bugs look like mealy bugs to me.
DogsandDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012   #9
Mlm1
Tomatovillian™

I think this could be what you have.
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/P/I-HO-PCOC-NM.005.html

I didn't look up the treatment yet. Hopefully there is an easy fix. good luck.

Marla
Mlm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012   #10
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

Sorry I can't help Crandrew.

A few of mine also have had leaves that look very similar so I'm waiting to hear what people say about yours. I've been snapping them off as soon as they start to turn, but there are a couple that don't have a lot left to snap.

The other day I sprayed them with Daconil, but don't know if it was too little, too late.

Hope it will work out for both of us.
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012   #11
Mlm1
Tomatovillian™

Here is more information on tomato psyllid.
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/r783303011.html

Marla
Mlm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012   #12
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Crandrew it is very common for the old tomato leaves to turn yellow and die.
Its just part of the life of a tomato.
When I see this I just cut off the leaves and let things be as they are.

I cant tell you about the bugs.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012   #13
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

You aren't over watering it are you?

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2012   #14
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlm1 View Post
I think this could be what you have.
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/P/I-HO-PCOC-NM.005.html

I didn't look up the treatment yet. Hopefully there is an easy fix. good luck.

Marla
OK, thanks for the link that could be them, but they are so magnified it's too detailed. I'll research

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinonfaith View Post
Sorry I can't help Crandrew.

A few of mine also have had leaves that look very similar so I'm waiting to hear what people say about yours. I've been snapping them off as soon as they start to turn, but there are a couple that don't have a lot left to snap.

The other day I sprayed them with Daconil, but don't know if it was too little, too late.

Hope it will work out for both of us.
Well thanks for looking. I've also been trimming as soon as they yellow and throwing them out with gloves in the trash can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babice View Post
LOL! Crandrew - friend. It's all right. Calm down and don't take offense to few posts so far. I think many, many folks are out in their gardens right now; trying to get a beat on the summer and such. Mehbe you post some more pics like DogsandDirt suggests?

So, I'm of course curious about a few things. How long have these toms been outside? What made you decide to prune them? How often (and how) are you watering them? I know you were thinking about doing Daconil one day and feeding the next. Are you doing that? What kind of humidity and temps have you had?
Just breath Crandrew. I had been watering them about 1-2 twice a week. Temps hover between 65-78 in the day and 55 at night. Humidity is around 60-80% They were planted out as seedlings on March 25th. I dont think this one is suffering from over watering. I will try and get some more pics if new ones start yellowing.

It's veg cycle was very intense causing a lot of leaf growth and I was worried about the lower ones picking up disease from the soil. I followed the instructions to remove the lower branches from the first 1ft of main stem(s). It would also allow more air circulation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Crandrew it is very common for the old tomato leaves to turn yellow and die.
Its just part of the life of a tomato.
When I see this I just cut off the leaves and let things be as they are.

I cant tell you about the bugs.

Worth
Thanks Worth, im hoping its just the common old tomoato leaves. The plant just set fruit about 2 weeks ago and its been blooming and setting fruit like no tomorrow. I figured the energy was being spent on fruit set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
You aren't over watering it are you?

Worth
I dont believe im over watering. That was my issue last year, so this year i've been monitoring soil moisture very closely. I use thin 3ft long bamboo skewers and set them in the soil for about 30min-1hr and after I remove gauge the moisture from the submerged portions. I had read about the method somewhere and it seems to be working. A bit like testing a cake or muffin.

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I know the plant was potentially suffering from septoria so I had continued to spray my Actinovate +LG and molasses as well as removing all affected leaves. It had seemed to control it but then after pruning and the fruit setting i started getting a decent amount of yellowing leaves. I came and took a look yesterday and it didnt seem to show any new yellowing so potentially it was stress of being pruned or maybe setting fruit so rapidly.

Nutrient schedule has been 1tblsp of fish emulsion (5-1-1) per gal once a week. I added Neptunes Harvest crab shells (2-3-0) as a top dressing and I add bokashi love Juice(?-?-?) about once a week, diluted to about 2.5tblsp per gl.

Once a week i spray an application of(alternating days early morning)
-Actinovate + Exel+ Molasses
-Neem + Molasses (which is why I think I only see a few bugs but overall not much besides fungus gnats in the other beds)

It had actually been my healthiest grower until last week.
Old June 4, 2012   #15
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Updated pic. I have maybe 2 leaves showing these spots and just a few yellowing. The rest are very healthy looking. Some are rolling in (taco)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338856083.950545.jpg