Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 3, 2012   #1
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

Default Anatolian Heirloom Seeds Recovery Project (ANATOHUM)

I am working on a project to increase the circulation of Anatolian heirlooms. Unfortunately, certain Anatolian varieties are currently in danger. It is significantly difficult to find the seeds unless one knows someone who grows those varieties locally in their backyard. For example, legendary Diyarbakir watermelon, known for its huge size (40 kg on average~80 lbs) and incredible taste, is hard to find these days. Luckily, seeds are kept in circulation through an annual watermelon competition but it is quite unusual to find this variety in farmer's market or grocery store. I think this is very sad especially because Diyarbakir is located in the Tigris-Euphrates basin, Mesopotamia, world's one of most fertile regions, and I would expect a wide circulation of the variety. There are a lot of other examples.

While heirloom awareness is growing and commercial seed companies have started to introduce heirlooms in their catalogs, efforts are not enough. I believe that growers in Tomatoville (specifically the members in North America) would be a very meaningful addition to the cause of these efforts. For my project, I will need volunteers to grow various seeds of Anatolian heirlooms. I will request one thing from growers: When I send seeds for a variety, you must grow it (yes, I will follow up ). Additionally, providing feedback on the variety would be very helpful.

If anyone interested, please let me know. I will make a list and when the seeds are available I will send them out for trials. Varieties primarily include tomatoes, melons/watermelons, and peppers.
chancethegardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2012   #2
cornbreadlouie
Tomatovillian™

I'd love to try my hand at growing some and would definitely be willing to produce some seeds as well.
Old August 3, 2012   #3
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

Thanks cornbreadlouie. I would appreciate if you can also PM me your name and email address.
Old August 7, 2012   #4
cornbreadlouie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancethegardener View Post
Thanks cornbreadlouie. I would appreciate if you can also PM me your name and email address.
I didn't see this post until now. PM on the way!
Old August 7, 2012   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Just noting that I did e-mail Mike at Victory Seeds a couple of days ago and asked if he could find out where that Turkish one he lists came from, more specifically.

I also told him about your project Chance, and asked him if he could spare some seeds of his Turkish one so I could send them to you for distriibution. I kinda said it was maybe payback for all the varieties I've sent to him and didn't mention any specifc number of seeds, b'c as most of you know I'm a shy, passive, reclusive person who doesn't often speak up.
Old August 7, 2012   #6
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Just noting that I did e-mail Mike at Victory Seeds a couple of days ago and asked if he could find out where that Turkish one he lists came from, more specifically.

I also told him about your project Chance, and asked him if he could spare some seeds of his Turkish one so I could send them to you for distriibution. I kinda said it was maybe payback for all the varieties I've sent to him and didn't mention any specifc number of seeds, b'c as most of you know I'm a shy, passive, reclusive person who doesn't often speak up.
Carolyn, does your post have an implicit message for me, too? How many varieties are you asking for in return?
Old August 7, 2012   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancethegardener View Post
Carolyn, does your post have an implicit message for me, too? How many varieties are you asking for in return?
No implicit message at all, just a message to let you know that I finally did contact Mike. As for varieties from you, well, above I think I said a couple would be fine, depending on how many seeds you have to distribute.

And I finally remembered to PM you my home address.
Old August 10, 2012   #8
mcsee
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
b'c as most of you know I'm a shy, passive, reclusive person who doesn't often speak up.
Loved that bit.
mcsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2012   #9
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

I don't have a ton of space, but I could certainly fit in a few pepper plants for you and save seeds
Old August 3, 2012   #10
jennifer28
Two-faced Drama Queen

I will help you with this.

Now I find that I have two more children of different Turkish families in my classroom next year.

I have a teaching license to teach English for English Language Learners so I usually get children in my class from many different countries who are just learning English, since I am licensed to teach that.

I am hoping to speak to these families about the heirloom project. I don't know what region they are from yet.

I will help grow something. I will put it in isolation. I am wondering if I can involve some of the Turkish families in this effort. Let me know.

Now that I am getting to know you I know the level of detail you like with pictures and weights.

I do plan on asking them if they have brought any seeds or if they can get us some seeds.

Jennifer
jennifer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2012   #11
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer28 View Post

Now I find that I have two more children of different Turkish families in my classroom next year.

I have a teaching license to teach English for English Language Learners so I usually get children in my class from many different countries who are just learning English, since I am licensed to teach that.

I am hoping to speak to these families about the heirloom project. I don't know what region they are from yet.

I will help grow something. I will put it in isolation. I am wondering if I can involve some of the Turkish families in this effort. Let me know.

Now that I am getting to know you I know the level of detail you like with pictures and weights.

I do plan on asking them if they have brought any seeds or if they can get us some seeds.

Jennifer
Sounds good, Jennifer. My goal is to find seeds of which origin and local traditional names are known to their growers (e.g. when I search through Turkish forums, I see that there are a lot of American varieties that are grown-people name a tomato "large pink" whereas the seeds belong to Brandywine-Sudduth strain). So if I have certain varieties which they might offer, then I would prefer the local varieties which I don't have.

By the way I planted Turkish Ayla the other day and they sprouted today. Hopefully, I can transplant them early September. Thanks for the seeds again.
Old August 31, 2012   #12
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer28 View Post

Jennifer
Jennifer, Turkish Ayla seedlings are happily growing. Interestingly, this is the only potato leaf variety of all Turkish tomatoes I currently have. It was potato leaf for you, too, right?
Old August 3, 2012   #13
ljp
Tomatovillian™

Are any of the seeds you want to grow out suitable for zone 3a? Last frost May 24, first frost October. I'm getting early to mid season tomatoes to ripen. July and August temps usually 24C highs to 15C lows.
ljp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2012   #14
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljp View Post
Are any of the seeds you want to grow out suitable for zone 3a? Last frost May 24, first frost October. I'm getting early to mid season tomatoes to ripen. July and August temps usually 24C highs to 15C lows.
There is little documentation I can access regarding the harvest times so that I need to see which varieties would be good for your conditions. I am currently growing out some tomatoes and hopefully I will be able to send you some seeds. You can PM me with your information, if you want.
Old August 4, 2012   #15
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Speaking for Craig ( nctomatoman), who has said he will always be able to raise my plants for me and Shoe in NC who has said he will always be able to do some seed production for me, I'd be glad to work with one or two tomato accessions you might have.

And speaking as one who has made specific requirements for participation in my annual seed offers here and not having those requirements followed, I wish you much luck with followups.

And also noting that I haven't yet contacted Mike Dunton at Victory Seeds about his listing for the Turkish tomato he lists but will do so as soon as the tennis part of the Olympics is done, which means next week I'll try to remember to do that.