Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 2, 2015   #1
JohnJones
Tomatovillian™

Default Megablooms!!!

The first three major blooms on any of my plants are all megablooms...

Cherokee Purple Plant #1

Cherokee Purple #1 - MegaBlossom - 4 2 2015.jpg

Better Boy

Better Boy MegaBlossom - 4 2 2015.jpg

Cherokee Purple Plant #2

Cherokee Purple #2 - MegaBlossom - 4 2 2015.JPG
JohnJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2015   #2
beeman
Tomatovillian™

I find Megablooms to be annoying and pull them off. They seem to take forever to ripen, create ugly looking toms and also seem to hold the plant back, as if all the growth is concentrated in that one blossom. Yuck!!!
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2015   #3
JohnJones
Tomatovillian™

Respect your opinion, but to me they are kinda fun. Obviously if it becomes apparent they are not going to produce an edible tomato I will pull them, but they're interesting to me.

I am not really one to aggressively alter my plants. My dad was certainly no horticulturist, but he grew lots of tomatoes over 60 years of gardening and he was always very hesitant to pull anything off a plant that had a chance of making a mater.
Old April 3, 2015   #4
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

I agree, they are fun and interesting to watch them develop.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2015   #5
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

I think mega blossoms are beautiful! As far as the catfacing, you only look at a tomato before you eat it. Once you dice it for salsa, or cook it into sauce your stomach doesn't know the difference. Not every tomato is going to be sliced for perfect presentation on a platter.

And those few who grow competition sized giant tomatoes only want megablossums on their plants.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2015   #6
PA_Julia
Tomatovillian™

My main focus is giant tomato growing. You can't have tomatoes of any decent size without megablooms. Here is my largest mega bloom from last season. Using a magnifying glass I counted a total of seven fused blooms. This is on a particular strain of Delicious called Hunts Strain. The seed was a descendant of the tomato that holds the Pennsylvania state record at 6.51 LBS. This grew into a 4.37 LB tomato. Not my personal best but of decent size nonetheless.. This year I have seeds from my friend and fellow giant grower Dan Mac Coy out of Minnesota. Last year he shattered the world record for tomato weight with a Big Zac that produced an eight bloom mega bloom. It grew to 8.41 LBS.

Last edited by PA_Julia; April 3, 2015 at 03:59 PM.
PA_Julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2015   #7
JohnJones
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_Julia View Post
My main focus is giant tomato growing. You can't have tomatoes of any decent size without megablooms. Here is my largest mega bloom from last season. Using a magnifying glass I counted a total of seven fused blooms. This is on a particular strain of Delicious called Hunts Strain. The seed was a descendant of the tomato that holds the Pennsylvania state record at 6.51 LBS. This grew into a 4.37 LB tomato. Not my personal best but of decent size nonetheless.. This year I have seeds from my friend and fellow giant grower Dan Mac Coy out of Minnesota. Last year he shattered the world record for tomato weight with a Big Zac that produced an eight bloom mega bloom. It grew to 8.41 LBS.
Julia,

That bloom is massive. Do you have a pic of the final tomato?

Once you get a bloom like that what kind of pruning do you do to the plant?

Last edited by JohnJones; April 3, 2015 at 05:01 PM.
Old April 4, 2015   #8
PA_Julia
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJones View Post
Julia,

That bloom is massive. Do you have a pic of the final tomato?

Once you get a bloom like that what kind of pruning do you do to the plant?

Yes I do have a photo of that tomato and here it is;
It is flashing color on the bottom portion of the tomato so it was done growing.

Old April 4, 2015   #9
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Yes I do have a photo of that tomato and here it is;
It is flashing color on the bottom portion of the tomato so it was done growing.

That thing is a beast. Do you grow them organically or with a whole lot of super thrive?
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2015   #10
PA_Julia
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloomtomaguy View Post
That thing is a beast. Do you grow them organically or with a whole lot of super thrive?

Hi, sorry about the delay in answering.

In order to get to sizes considered giant, 4.00 LBS or above one simply cannot use a strictly organic approach.

I use very large amounts of synthetic and natural fertilizers in which to boost the overall weight of a large tomato.

Since these tomatoes are not for eating there is no fear of consuming pesticides or other products that one might find in trace amounts in the tomatoes.
Old April 3, 2015   #11
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Oh my god, please dont post a picture of whatever that grew up to be! Yuck, Yuck, quintuple yuck!
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2015   #12
PA_Julia
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stvrob View Post
Oh my god, please dont post a picture of whatever that grew up to be! Yuck, Yuck, quintuple yuck!
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Growing giants for competition requires a different mindset than perfectly round tomatoes that are eaten. These are not eaten and only one tomato is grown per plant. The seed is then saved and shared with other giant growers.

For my friend Dan Mac Coy who grow the world record last season at 8.41 LBS, not only is he holding that record , after all prize money and continuing endorsements he's sitting at over ten thousand dollars from growing that tomato.

That's certainly not a "" Yucky"" payoff to coin your word.

Last edited by PA_Julia; April 4, 2015 at 06:58 AM.
PA_Julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2015   #13
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I don't mind the mega-blooms too much but they tend to ripen very unevenly most of the time so that part of the fruit is overripe while other parts are still green. Since I'm not growing for size I try to cull most of them out.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2015   #14
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Some mega blooms do not survive. Of the ones that do, become cat faced. In my experience those won't ripened properly.
Cherokee purple had been the first with mega bloom in my garden.

Though an interesting thing to observe, I would remove them, as I consider them mishaps.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2015   #15
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

What is the difference between a regular bloom and a megabloom and how do you know what to look for or if you happen to have one?

Nice looking plants there John Jones.

Pa_Julie... That's one big tomato!!!!!!!!! Whew!
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote